calling all dogs

bondouley

Fish nut what calls are you using, the screaming bunny they all heard, there’s a few coyote hunts around here a year and of course their all out there hollering around and educating the yotes. A few young of the year get shot off and of course usually a few heavier dogs get killed. Everyone likes a fight, so I started using chicken fight, pheasants in distress and birds. We noticed tracks and saw flashes of something when crow hunting. Playing the death cry of a crow brings in a lot of different predators, but we only ever used that in the day. Raspy sounding turkey usually makes for curiosity kills the dog:lol: now that we have remotes for our callers a lot of guys stick the caller 75-100 yards away, and the might seem like a good idea, but if you get one to hold up usually around 100 yards to the sound now your dog is almost twice the distance and a good chance at night you won’t see him. I like to set 30-50 yards off to the side, I also call with the wind less volume carries further and face yourself into the wind. Won’t be long we can start with female invitation, howl,  2 dogs fighting right after the female invitation. Just switch up see if it improves. Just a suggestion, it’s worked for me, OOH two kittens, worked for us, if your hunt around farms, a lot of farm animal in distress will work!! Best of luck to ya. I just got a night vision scope getting it fitted to my heavy barrel 25/06, I’m not a pelt hunter.:lol: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! PAP.

Here's what I'm using mike. Ruger mini 14 target rifle in .223 with a 6x24 mil dot scope and a night snipe red LED light. I can see eyes at around 450yds and positive body ID at 300yds

IMG_3904.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That stock makes me feel like I'm on the acid... Looks sweet !!

Thanks, the stock is actually OEM. I love the rifle, deadly and accurate. On the muzzle is an adjustable weight to tighten the rifles grouping. I have it shooting 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100yds

This is the new target mini 14. The standard mini's got a rep for being inaccurate, 22" barrel and the damper all S.S. And a laminate thumb hole stock

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Stock stock ??? Never saw one like that before. I've always though the mini's would sell even better if they had a Boyd's or anything other than standard issue

Funny you mention a Boyd's stock, I put one on my Ruger m77 25-06 this past year. This is my deer rifle.IMG_3920.JPG

I skin ,flesh and dry them then send to Moyle fur tannery in ID. They do s great job never got a bad one back in 20yrs. They use a brightener on the fur there absolutely beautiful.1514845464256.thumb.jpeg.857d085aa207043f42d1e0b17305c4ab.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Same here. I salt dry everything and at the end of march it all gets boxed up and shipped off to mink and moyle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, steelydan said:

Funny you mention a Boyd's stock, I put one on my Ruger m77 25-06 this past year. This is my deer rifle.IMG_3920.JPG

I have the 25/06 in a Ruger m77 rifle with factory lamented stock, the gun weighs10’s with out a nigh scouting scope sleeping this two little I 

Sweet looking rifle, I love my 25/06, with the heavy barrel and laminated stock puts the rifle at 10# on the meat scale, no bipods, no scope, so I switched my thoughts to my 22/250 also to find a picatinny rail for those crazy Ruger mounts is tough, I called Midway, all the local shops seems everyone comes up with a blank, I hade a set if Weaver mounts for it but the lock no matter what I do it puts the scope to far forward. My 22/250 is a 700 BDL parts are so much easier to find I should be up and sighting the gun in mid week. Hopefully!! 

Sweet looking rifle, I love my 25/06, with the heavy barrel and laminated stock puts the rifle at 10# on the meat scale, no bipods, no scope, so I switched my thoughts to my 22/250 also to find a picatinny rail for those crazy Ruger mounts is tough, I called Midway, all the local shops seems everyone comes up with a blank, I hade a set if Weaver mounts for it but the lock no matter what I do it puts the scope to far forward. My 22/250 is a 700 BDL parts are so much easier to find I should be up and sighting the gun in mid week. Hopefully!! 

I tried a night vision scope, hated it. This red led nite snipe with a head lamp is what works best for me. I put a roadkill in the field behind my house about 200yds from my window. LOL.

Why did you hate the night vision?? I've never used one this is my first go around with night vision.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Low power magnification, and it's fuzzy like viewing an old tv. And heavy and bulky.Plus you need a light anyway unless you sit there with the rifle up to your face. Unless it's gen 3 they are not that great. You bought that one before I could message you.

• Like 1

Low power magnification, and it's fuzzy like viewing an old tv. And heavy and bulky.Plus you need a light anyway unless you sit there with the rifle up to your face. Unless it's gen 3 they are not that great. You bought that one before I could message you.

Gen 3s with a proper ir illuminator are great. The new photons are great scopes. Most important part is your going to see dogs that you'll never see with lights.

Lights are great for foxes but our yotes don't cooperate with them 98% of the time. One issue with NV is u can't expect to be able to scan with your scope all night so your going to need a thermal monocular to scan and then a NV to finish the job to be more effective. Also a thermal scope is going to be far more effective for follow up shots and runners because you won't go flash blind after each shot.

Imo the magnification is a non issue. 6-24 couldn't be more overkill for night hunting and has a lot of disadvantages. When you get into that kind of magnification the scope loses a lot of ability to bring in light and your forced to set your shooting light as bright as possible to get a good sight picture which is bad news. We aren't out west shooting Prarie dogs here. Keep the lights dim and buy the best glass possible with a big tube if possible. 3-12x42 or 4-16x44 are great options and still a bit overkill. Also buying a scope with a 30 mil tube will let in a lot more light. I have a monarch prostaff 7 with a 30 mil tube that I can see clear as day at night once we have snow. These nights with snow cover and bright moon I wouldn't use a single light at night if I wanted to kill yotes. By far your best option if you don't have access to thermal or night vision. If foxes are the game scan non stop from the time u leave ur truck til the time ur back in it and always be ready for ur shot. Keep the lights dim and your odds of finishing a yote if it shows up increase 100x. Bright lights are not the answer.

• Like 2

Gen 3s with a proper ir illuminator are great. The new photons are great scopes. Most important part is your going to see dogs that you'll never see with lights.

Lights are great for foxes but our yotes don't cooperate with them 98% of the time. One issue with NV is u can't expect to be able to scan with your scope all night so your going to need a thermal monocular to scan and then a NV to finish the job to be more effective. Also a thermal scope is going to be far more effective for follow up shots and runners because you won't go flash blind after each shot.

Imo the magnification is a non issue. 6-24 couldn't be more overkill for night hunting and has a lot of disadvantages. When you get into that kind of magnification the scope loses a lot of ability to bring in light and your forced to set your shooting light as bright as possible to get a good sight picture which is bad news. We aren't out west shooting Prarie dogs here. Keep the lights dim and buy the best glass possible with a big tube if possible. 3-12x42 or 4-16x44 are great options and still a bit overkill. Also buying a scope with a 30 mil tube will let in a lot more light. I have a monarch prostaff 7 with a 30 mil tube that I can see clear as day at night once we have snow. These nights with snow cover and bright moon I wouldn't use a single light at night if I wanted to kill yotes. By far your best option if you don't have access to thermal or night vision. If foxes are the game scan non stop from the time u leave ur truck til the time ur back in it and always be ready for ur shot. Keep the lights dim and your odds of finishing a yote if it shows up increase 100x. Bright lights are not the answer.

I almost never use a light when I have snow, standard 6x24x50 scope and I can see them perfect without a light. I hunt on my own property, mainly 3 fields with bait, my shots are rarely less than 200yds and I rarely need to shoot twice. Magnification is an issue. And I killed 9 last winter with a light

Great post....totally agree with everything said.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app