calling all dogs

bondouley

Put a new scope on my MVP, I had a cheapo 6-24x but really wanted something low power for close range plinking but that had the ability to be 200+yd scopenif I wanted it. When the temps are a little more enjoyable I will get it zeroed. Can anyone explain to me what 1 click = .1 mil means? I am not familiar with what a mil is. 

FAD4347B-7877-4BDB-9DC7-43199976BEB4.jpeg

58DFC54E-88B3-48E4-9B2E-DEC6EBED42C0.jpeg

Gen 1 and 2 suck, and gen 3 night vision optics are expensive to say the least. And not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Yea I would've believed the same thing right until I switched to thermal and realized 90% of yotes you never see without it. All it took was killing 4 out of a 5 pack on my first set of the season and then continuing to finish dogs from hundreds of yards out to inside 50 yards all season to realize I wasn't even playing the same game anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yea I would've believed the same thing right until I switched to thermal and realized 90% of yotes you never see without it. All it took was killing 4 out of a 5 pack on my first set of the season and then continuing to finish dogs from hundreds of yards out to inside 50 yards all season to realize I wasn't even playing the same game anymore.

Simply stated its like $5k or more for a d cent gen 3 night vision scope. Not worth it for 99% of people

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 hours ago, iiwhistlerii said:

Gen 3s with a proper ir illuminator are great. The new photons are great scopes. Most important part is your going to see dogs that you'll never see with lights.

What are the Photons your referring to? Would you have a link for them?

Simply stated its like $5k or more for a d cent gen 3 night vision scope. Not worth it for 99% of people

That's thermal. Night vision is less than $1000 for a quality scope. Sight mark photon is an awesome NV scope and the new one even records and has a good ir illuminator for less than $600. 5k will buy u top of the line 640 core thermal.

Its true that most people don't need it because they only do this a couple or few times per year. Thats a hefty price for the occasional user. For the avid night time predator hunter NV can be advantageous. However, it doesn't take the place of having populations and using proper set-ups. In other words it won't make you a better hunter or allow you to see coyote that aren't there to begin with.
That being said I still use lights as I haven't been able to justify the cost yet. You need to buy the best available, the gen 1 or 2's just won't give you the clarity to make positive ID's of your target. Someday I'll spring for one.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What are the Photons your referring to? Would you have a link for them?
Sightmark photon rt is the newest scope. The previous scopes were good but required an external ir for longer ranges. The new one has a better screen and quality ir included and also records footage for less than $700.

https://www.cowboysafes.com/products/sightmark-photon-rt-night-vision-riflescope-sm18015?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=6655839731740&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ15-

Its true that most people don't need it because they only do this a couple or few times per year. Thats a hefty price for the occasional user. For the avid night time predator hunter NV can be advantageous. However, it doesn't take the place of having populations and using proper set-ups. In other words it won't make you a better hunter or allow you to see coyote that aren't there to begin with.
That being said I still use lights as I haven't been able to justify the cost yet. You need to buy the best available, the gen 1 or 2's just won't give you the clarity to make positive ID's of your target. Someday I'll spring for one.

In this post I said "NV", I meant thermal. Couldnt figure out how to go back and change using my phone. I stand corrected...

In this post I said "NV", I meant thermal. Couldnt figure out how to go back and change using my phone. I stand corrected...

Your certainly right about success rate. Thermal isn't a magic wand that'll make u a killer. I know guys who have dropped 5 k and still can't call in a thing unless I take them out with me. Having quality spots and knowledge on how to set is everything. Lights are great tools you just need to know how to use them properly to be effective killing tools and not just educating dogs all night. Attention to detail is what makes for consistently successful sets.

You're correct about lights. For those just getting into lights make the investment into a light with a rheostat so you can adjust the power. Not just a low or high setting, but full adjustability. I scan with a red light set at about half power or just slightly above, it takes little to see eyes. My gun light is set brighter but that doesn't come on until I am ready to take the shot. If you're stuck with a fixed beam light for scanning then once you find eyes keep the critter in the lower half of your beam....use the halo of the beam vs the direct beam. They don't like bright!

Completely agree. I actually hunt a bunch through the season but can't justify the cost of NV or thermal. Between the gun, calls, lights etc, deer hunting gear, guns bows etc, and now fishing, boat, poles etc.... I can't keep up ! If I hit it big, I'll do thermal but for now I'm ok with lights

You're correct about lights. For those just getting into lights make the investment into a light with a rheostat so you can adjust the power. Not just a low or high setting, but full adjustability. I scan with a red light set at about half power or just slightly above, it takes little to see eyes. My gun light is set brighter but that doesn't come on until I am ready to take the shot. If you're stuck with a fixed beam light for scanning then once you find eyes keep the critter in the lower half of your beam....use the halo of the beam vs the direct beam. They don't like bright!

Perfect advice.

I sat in on a Dennis Kirk calling seminar, you guys have got a lot of his words working for you, the halos of your light is just as important as your set up. He said the Eastern coyote is much more of an intelligent critter your going to hunt in the NE. So far we all seem to be in the right with our ways. It only takes one mess up and that dog will go on high surveillance before he ambush another bunny. The next best shot at a coyote will be in the matting season, just like deer, humans, we all think with the wrong noodle:lol: so far this thread is really turning out to be a great thread!! Thanks to all!!

• Like 1

To add to the halo, the advice I was given a long time ago was the bottom is the most important part to keep the eyes in till you switch to kill light because the critters can't see you but they can pick up shadows from your light moving, keeping it above them limits the shadows that will be in front of them (the way they are looking).

Put a new scope on my MVP, I had a cheapo 6-24x but really wanted something low power for close range plinking but that had the ability to be 200+yd scopenif I wanted it. When the temps are a little more enjoyable I will get it zeroed. Can anyone explain to me what 1 click = .1 mil means? I am not familiar with what a mil is. 

FAD4347B-7877-4BDB-9DC7-43199976BEB4.thumb.jpeg.e82719393e6c4ce7d578cff627e0df7c.jpeg

58DFC54E-88B3-48E4-9B2E-DEC6EBED42C0.thumb.jpeg.fd3a125e58379a6443f24466c9cd3efa.jpeg

Nice scope choice. I have a Burris XTR 1-5 with the tactical reticle on my .223 and love the versatility of a true 1 power to 5 power. Scope clicks, depending on the manufacturer, can be based on inch compensation for windage and drop -or- MOA (minute of angle) or Mil (milliradian), both angular measurements. 1 Mil = 3.6 inches at 100 yards. 1/10 Mil = .36 inches at 100 yards. Here is a good article explaining MOA, Mil, and Inch methods:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/2/18/mil-moa-or-inches/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, LakerTaker said:

Nice scope choice. I have a Burris XTR 1-5 with the tactical reticle on my .223 and love the versatility of a true 1 power to 5 power. Scope clicks, depending on the manufacturer, can be based on inch compensation for windage and drop -or- MOA (minute of angle) or Mil (milliradian), both angular measurements. 1 Mil = 3.6 inches at 100 yards. 1/10 Mil = .36 inches at 100 yards. Here is a good article explaining MOA, Mil, and Inch methods:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/2/18/mil-moa-or-inches/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the info, that will be very helpful!

Yep, that's a no go here in NYS. Can't have thumbhole and detachable....

I don't understand why no thump hole stock. I can understand no semi auto or even no detachable mag( if that's what you meant) but thumb hole stock makes no sense to meMy TC encore is a single shot but has a thumb hole stock

17 minutes ago, steelydan said:

I don't understand why no thump hole stock. I can understand no semi auto or even no detachable mag( if that's what you meant) but thumb hole stock makes no sense to meMy TC encore is a single shot but has a thumb hole stock

We can have thumbholes, we can have detachable mags, but not both on the same gun. Then, according to Emperor Andy, it is an evil gun designed to kill people.

• Like 1

We can have thumbholes, we can have detachable mags, but not both on the same gun. Then, according to Emperor Andy, it is an evil gun designed to kill people.

That sucks! Here we only recently got the go ahead on semi auto, no big game, only varmint or small game. Nothing about stocks or mags

Let's keep this thread off Andy and the state regs.... I'm sorry for bringing it up, thread is cool let's not ruin it !

Our ar's have the mag pinned, let me tell you how fun it is to open it up and top load, then to unload u have to cycle em out through. Stupid.

• Like 1

It’s because our leader, self proclaimed king Cuomo made it so! He is saving the world with his BS safeact program that he put into place during the middle of the night when no one could stop him! And he wants to be our next president!!!!!!!