calling all dogs

bondouley

Doing the slam this weekend but had the flu all week so not looking good right now for much hunting in this cold. But I'll show Sunday at check in and hope for door prizes. Cheap beer and a couple tv's in the bar to watch the game.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ditto. Finally starting to feel better and now gonna head out in this crap. Good luck and I'll see you Sunday !

Pap, I would definitely hold off on the weather but the slam only goes tonight-sun. Trust me, not looking forward to slow action cold hunts !!

That is a nice memory Whaler.

This is my first winter back on the hill so I am trying to figure it out.  The bait pile has been really quiet.  I had visitors about 2 weeks ago and now nothing.  I notice the crows are even boycotting.  The only thing I could come up with is that the deer is frozen solid.

9 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Ditto. Finally starting to feel better and now gonna head out in this crap. Good luck and I'll see you Sunday !

Pap, I would definitely hold off on the weather but the slam only goes tonight-sun. Trust me, not looking forward to slow action cold hunts !!

OH, I didn’t put it together as a hunt that was a organized hunt. I wish you the best. I have a funny story about a hunt that was 3 days only, and a winter storm came the night before than it gave freezing rain. Well my partner Danny had properties along the backside of a sand quarry. We needed to drive a good mile on a unkept road, then we walked another 1/2 mile or so on top the snow, the crust was thick. To make a long story short, nothing came and out to the blacktop road we go, get out to unlock the hubs, yea, no electric shift 4wd in those days, well we get up to 25-30 mph the truck shook so bad, and I couldn’t even hold on to the steering wheel, WTF?? Here the crust ripped all the wheel weights off, I had a 74 International Scout with the short bed, so 5mph we went to the nearest garage to get the front wheels balanced again. We still talk about that day and laugh like hell like we did that very day!! Good luck to all as its 2* here so it’s got to be way colder up there by you guys. BBrrrrr.

That is a nice memory Whaler.

This is my first winter back on the hill so I am trying to figure it out.  The bait pile has been really quiet.  I had visitors about 2 weeks ago and now nothing.  I notice the crows are even boycotting.  The only thing I could come up with is that the deer is frozen solid.

Thanks BS
My deer has been untouched as well but once the weather brakes things are going to pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Took my cousin out tonight so he could shoot something with his new "predator rifle" He built a .204 ar15 with a 26" heavy barrel, I bet the thing weighed 15+ pounds with all the dumb lights and bipods and **** he had on it. 1st set we had a yote sit down on the woodline about 400 out and stare toward the caller for 15 minutes. Eventually he walked off somewhere. He didn't seem to want to come play in the deep snow. Next set didn't take long. 2 minutes in i have action to my right and I let him know he has a fox coming in hot and light it up whenever he's ready. You could see it fine once it got within range as it was blasting trough the snow throwing a wake like a jet ski. He hesitated, I barked it to stop, then I heard frustration and a safety click off as the fox ran up and bit the caller and took off. That was my signal to step in so I took a couple shots and dropped it on the run. Doesn't this kid put a round into it as it lifts it's head up while laying in the snow a second later. Better late than never I guess. Lol. He also learned to skin a gut shot fox tonight since that was his mess. Video below.

[/url]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have today that thermal scope is amazing ... what is it if you don’t mind me asking??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A red came in last night.  I convinced it to stay.

I am going to ask a dumb question.  What can I use for a round 30-06 that doesn’t destroy the hide of those thinner skin animals.  Frangible, full metal jacket?  Right now I am using 150g core lok.  It is my favorite for deer season .

I will start looking for a designated varmint rifle next year.

thanks,

A red came in last night.  I convinced it to stay.

I am going to ask a dumb question.  What can I use for a round 30-06 that doesn’t destroy the hide of those thinner skin animals.  Frangible, full metal jacket?  Right now I am using 150g core lok.  It is my favorite for deer season .

I will start looking for a designated varmint rifle next year.

thanks,

Big calibers = big mess. But, bang flop !

Well, if it wasn't for the contest I'd have been on the couch with some hot cocoa. Lol

At least you got out. I missed 4 days work this week with the flu....my contest time was on the couch....too old to tempt a relapse. Maybe make up for it in the Foxpro (bark at the moon) event end of the month. See ya tomorrow.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just realized last night how much my wife loves when I shoot out my bedroom window at 2am! Burning hot brass bouncing off everything!!! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good evening all. This is my first post on this forum but I've been lurking for years lol. Maybe some of you could offer advice. I'm just getting into predator hunting and know next to nothing. My family owns a little over 400 acres of wooded land in Central Pa and my property borders several thousand acres of State Forest. There is a far too healthy population of coyotes on and around me. Almost all the videos and articles I've read deals with hunting in or next to fields which is not an option for me. 

As far as gear goes, I have a Shockwave E-call and I built a .223 AR with a night vision scope. I also have another .223 with a 4x12 scope topped with a green light by Wicked Hunting Lights. 

During this cold snap, I've accumulated several roadkill to set up bait stations. I do know that several of the local farmers have had people calling far too frequently so the dogs are quite educated. None have had any success. I know many of the hunters and they have the attention span of a 3 year old.

It's my understanding that this cold weather has things shut down but with the warm up coming mid week and lasting for a fairly extended stretch, the activity should pick back up. Do I start one bait pile? Do i do several? What do i look for in determining a bait location? Do i call while watching the bait? I have tons of questions and no answers lol! 

Hoping to do the same tonight!
Did you connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes, about a 35lb female. Came in to the bait alone with reckless abandon. But my wife wasn't happy, next time I'll tell her to go to the bathroom! ROFLMAO

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app