calling all dogs

bondouley

Got a question on caliber vs pelt retention, mainly regarding foxes as I have very little confidence in calling yotes. I used to hunt with a .204 but sold that gun (always seems like a good idea at the time, now I regret). I only ever called in one yote with that gun and it put a teeny hole on one side and never exited if I remember right. Now I have a rifle chambered in 5.56 and was planning on shooting hornady vmax in .223 out of it. Is a shoulder/lung shot with this going to wreck a fox hide? Should I use different bullets, or should I be searching for a new gun?

Edited by dawsonscreek

2 hours ago, dawsonscreek said:

Got a question on caliber vs pelt retention, mainly regarding foxes as I have very little confidence in calling yotes. I used to hunt with a .204 but sold that gun (always seems like a good idea at the time, now I regret). I only ever called in one yote with that gun and it put a teeny hole on one side and never exited if I remember right. Now I have a rifle chambered in 5.56 and was planning on shooting hornady vmax in .223 out of it. Is a shoulder/lung shot with this going to wreck a fox hide? Should I use different bullets, or should I be searching for a new gun?

Are you talking about 6mm Creedmoor!! If so my cousin just bought one in the Ruger platform, I don’t know if Savage or anyone else has chambered this rifle yet, but I know he shoots the 110 gr Hornady BT out of his, he got his buzzing over 3000ft per sec. out of his, he hunts predators with his, he likes it, he first bought a Winchester 243 wsm that gun blew yotes in half, just about, that thing was nasty!! I shot his 6mm, nice!! No Recoil shoots about on a quarter for me, and with him behind the rifle 3 shots cut the same hole. Be interesting to hear how yours does. I’m a sucker for wildcat cartridges so I guess that’s why I show interest in the gun!!

1 hour ago, pap said:

Are you talking about 6mm Creedmoor!! If so my cousin just bought one in the Ruger platform, I don’t know if Savage or anyone else has chambered this rifle yet, but I know he shoots the 110 gr Hornady BT out of his, he got his buzzing over 3000ft per sec. out of his, he hunts predators with his, he likes it, he first bought a Winchester 243 wsm that gun blew yotes in half, just about, that thing was nasty!! I shot his 6mm, nice!! No Recoil shoots about on a quarter for me, and with him behind the rifle 3 shots cut the same hole. Be interesting to hear how yours does. I’m a sucker for wildcat cartridges so I guess that’s why I show interest in the gun!!

No, the gun I have is a Mossberg MVP predator edition. It's chambered in 5.56x45 so it will also shoot .223. It is a really nice shooting gun, bolt action and takes AR-15 mags. Hoping that a .223 wont damage a fox pelt too much. I want a red and a grey for the wall, then the rest would go to market (should I have that great of a season).

For grays especially I use my 17hmr and the 21gr.BT even the 17gr with the ballistic tip makes a hole. That little pill is sailing  3000fps. or some like my brother "when he was with us" loved his 22mag.  that's a lot a gun for a grey, unless you can pull of a head shot, not saying you cant, either!! greys are like the same as a cat their hide is thin and bones are small. 

well that iwhistler on here an this very forum uses a 204, I know he took a few reds with it, I'm not to sure if he took any greys. Guess we'll have to ask him then we all will know.

22 hours ago, iiwhistlerii said:

Took "Da Butcher" (for those who know him from the tourney scene), out for a couple sets last night behind the thermal. Had lots of yotes sounding off but none that would finish. Great conditions and I should have hunted longer. Got video footage of a nice fox but forgot to teach Justin how to use the focus knob on the scope so it's a little blurry. Great coat on this one until you looked at its tail. Fml

20180109_193249.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

some guys were wondering if you ever took a grey with your 204 and what was the outcome of the hide damage if there was any?? thanks for your input. PAP

some guys were wondering if you ever took a grey with your 204 and what was the outcome of the hide damage if there was any?? thanks for your input. PAP
It's all shot placement and distance I've found. Gut shots or edge of body and ur gonna have a mess. Chest shot or square into the rib cage usually doesn't exit. It's the exit wounds that leave the mess. Long range shots (150+) almost never exit.

8 minutes ago, iiwhistlerii said:

My days of worrying about fur friendly are done. Skin it out and sew it up when it comes back from the tanners. It looks worse that it is usually.

LOL I hear ya there!!

well that iwhistler on here an this very forum uses a 204, I know he took a few reds with it, I'm not to sure if he took any greys. Guess we'll have to ask him then we all will know.
Used 204 last year also and killed a pile with it. I'd say about half the time I end up with a mess and half the time it's a perfect pinhole with no exit. Edge of body near misses are always a mess. The 35 grain bergers seem to have less exits than the vmax. If ur shots are close and u want perfect furs shoot a 17hmr or a 22 mag. The 17wsm is a badass round also

• Like 1