calling all dogs

bondouley

3 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Pretty special yote. Equivalent deer would be 170 plus in my opinion. Weight, age, and bonus points for his color. Really cool dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2 really cool looking dog. That looks a lot older and maybe he’s to wise to be called in other than the mateing season, it’s a good thing this guys out of commission. LOL :yes: :yes:

This pic is of a wolf skull and the yote I took the other day. Check out the difference. The wolf came from Alaska, my Buddy well know moose guide that I hunted with and trapper from Fairbanks widow gave it to me after his passing. Still has a way to get that big but not that far off. I don't know actual size of the wolf either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

wow not much size difference at all
Lol. U guys must be looking at something different than I am. Skin that yote out and put those skulls side by side. The mass on that right skull is insane. A 50lb yote has a big head but it's still nothing when compared to a 120lb+ wolf. Here is a 48lb male skull compared to a 33 lb female. Definitely some serious differences in teeth size and mass but still would fit nicely in a wolf's mouth. Lol20171217_130545.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, last night when I got home from work there was a mature bald eagle on the deer (I pointed it out to my wife and kids) and it was my wife that was acting like a kid on Christmas morning.  She has not been a fan until then.

On another note.  I find it sort of creepy skinning out predators looking at there hairless faces.  I guess it reminds me of demons. 

I watched a documentary on the coywolf of eastern canada and they compared the skulls from the top down and showed where the additional muscles were attached.  The interesting thing in that documentary was that eastern wolf can breed with either the timber wolf in the west or the coyote but the coyote can't hybridize with the timber wolf. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ken frearson said:

IMG_20180119_063245016.jpg

After iwhistler’s comparisons sure sheds light on size, at first I thought it looked kinda close, but a quick glance the wolf scull is way more stout than the coyotes snout area and just gets bigger as it goes, to say that the wolf’s mouth would hold the yotes head is definitely possible and with ease from my point of view. That wolf’s skull is huge, that would be like messing with a Great Dane vrs. My beagle. LOL.

Lol. U guys must be looking at something different than I am. Skin that yote out and put those skulls side by side. The mass on that right skull is insane. A 50lb yote has a big head but it's still nothing when compared to a 120lb+ wolf. Here is a 48lb male skull compared to a 33 lb female. Definitely some serious differences in teeth size and mass but still would fit nicely in a wolf's mouth. Lol20171217_130545.thumb.jpg.9244d9fb2cf1f301dcefa9f30d4590ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My last dog was a timber wolf cross with husky, an average wolf is well over 100lbs! And stands about twice as tall as a huge yote. No comparison between them. I agree with whistler, still a very nice yote.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never seen where a coyote has fed on a fox. I've had more than a few fox in my traps ripped into by yotes, but they never fed on them. I have a spot on my property where my carcasses go after skinning and the yotes pay no attention to fox. A fox is probably 7lbs skinned, I can put a 25 lb beaver carcass next to that pile and its gone the next day.
My lab shows the same interest in carcasses. Pay attention to your dogs, they can teach you alot about canine behavior.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Novice question here. While out last night I was calling for about 20 minutes when I caught a pair of eyes in the light. They showed green reflection, whatever it was would slowly work its way across the hill side, surely looking at the caller but not coming in. After watching it for about 5-10 minutes I lost sight of it, a very short time later I caught eyes down in the corner of the field I was in, I was able to positively ID that as a deer (also green eye reflection). Question is, do predators show green eye reflection, or was I tricked by a whitetail investigating my call from a distance? The eyes appeared to be very close together on the front of the animals face, but with it being pitch black and my light only good for ID to about 80 yards, I can't say for certain what I saw was not a deer.

• Like 1

Coyote eyes usually shine like a brownish to like white but, I’ve made the same mistake and it was a green color, so I did some research and it has something to do with the amount of zinc I think their diet and also there age. I was using coyote sounds that’s what threw me for a loop. Also it was a good 300 yards away I was at a miniature model airplane strip. Did the same sneaky deal I was using a 1 million candle power light with a red lens and I put the beam right to it and still couldn’t make a positive ID. surely didn’t want to shoot someone’s dog. Had to pass through a development to get to state game land.

7 hours ago, pap said:

Coyote eyes usually shine like a brownish to like white but, I’ve made the same mistake and it was a green color, so I did some research and it has something to do with the amount of zinc I think their diet and also there age. I was using coyote sounds that’s what threw me for a loop. Also it was a good 300 yards away I was at a miniature model airplane strip. Did the same sneaky deal I was using a 1 million candle power light with a red lens and I put the beam right to it and still couldn’t make a positive ID. surely didn’t want to shoot someone’s dog. Had to pass through a development to get to state game land.

I have read similar articles about eye color, didn’t clear it up. Guess I can’t say what it was unless I had seen it in the light better. Good lesson to not shoot the first eyes you see though! If not tonight I will be out next Saturday night for sure (the honey works late so I’ve got the time!) 

I've always noticed the eyes of dogs are red/brown. Deer seem to be green. That's with a red light. I can't remember a time where I wasn't able to tell what it was, typically you can tell by body language and movements. Def a reason to hold off on the shot till your 100% positive on ID. I've heard to many storys of eyeshots turning out to be deer.

So the alarm just went off. Tommy’s been out with the .204 since around 4. Billy and I go upstairs, put the 17 out the window and it’s a yote, not a fox. First of the year on the bait.
Shut window, pulled out his AR. Eotec sight, little funky in the dark but the 17 isn’t enough gun.
Had to chamber the AR in the hall, it’s a noisy rack.
Window goes down and scan the light. Yotes running to the right, couple loud squeaks and it stops. Junior pulls the trigger and it looked good.
No blood whatsoever. None on the snow, none out the nose and mouth walking out. No idea where he hit it.
Pretty female, good coat and pretty dog. Image1516579906.947994.jpgImage1516579921.113952.jpgImage1516579936.206196.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Whoo nice job!! We ran one over by ur lease today for 3hrs plus shot at 13 times and dinged once ran him till it got too late in the afternoon and pulled hounds off. I Also another 2hour run earler in the morning took us from the lake to almost rt. 104. Kilt two others this weekend. Great tracking weather for the hounds they were running a tight track all day even our second string hounds worked well. IMG_20180120_153215595.jpg

IMG_20180120_155345607.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Btw, straight white led light right in her face.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Excellent job by the 2 of ya’s!! Where was the shot placed after the autopsy was pulled!! :lol: :yes: PAP