calling all dogs

bondouley

My brother law has been seein coyotes on his cameras, and they have been getting to be more & more. The turkey population has dropped to nearly nothing, and the deer come spring, the deer are showing less fawns since the dogs are in numbers up by him. Now Rodney has shot big bucks, he has a lease in Ohio where he shoots a wall hanger. His living room has one giant buck after another, plus he’s hard core turkey hunter. Now he wants to go coyote hunting, so I get all my gear, I gave him my 22/250, dialed in on a les than a dime, the gun shoots better then I can shoot it. I put a Trijicon 2.5-10X56 30mm, my fox pro caller and my decoy, I had the absolute most epic night as a caller. I took my shotgun with a tube they say is the best choke. Now it just about dark got decoy and caller going. My best 3 calls that work for me best are lucky bird, then I switch it up the coyote pup howls, then follow that up with coyote pup distress call, don’t you know I spotted the woods line nothing then I brought the light into the middle of the field a nice size dog fixed to the decoy sneaking up on it now it’s 100 yards plus, I held the light above the dogs head and shook the light, why isn’t he shooting!! So I put that light down and grabbed my shotgun because I have a extremely bright red lens and have that a fixed on top of my shotgun, then I shined with green light he still doesn’t shoot?? Soon this car turned around and it’s headlights shine on the field and the yote took off WFO across the field. So I walked up to him and I say why the F’k didn’t you shoot, Mike I didn’t see anything my god he sat down on that high hump in the field!! I’m sorry I didn’t see it and was wondering why you shook the red light and switched to the bright red light. We go to another sit same deal lucky bird coyote pup howl then I mess up so I thought, I put female invitations calls on don’t you know one barked to the back of us and another dog comes out of the woods this one stayed out there, nothing my 22/250 couldn’t handle, this time we sit together and he doesn’t see this one either. The dog slowly walked off. He says I better get my eyes checked, I can’t see them with or with out the light. I said that’s it till you figure out why you can’t see plus I don’t want to educate anymore of these dogs till you see what’s up with your eyes. To me it was a Epic night we had 3 dogs out with 2 sits, that’s awesome in my book, I said!! No kills but at least we had some serious action!! No more hunting till he gets glasses!!

Edited by pap
  • Like 1

I had good hopes with my brother in law, he’s a damn good shot!! During the daylight so we found out. Now he’s a truck driver for Yellow/Roadway with million mile certificate, and he mostly drives at night, but this is a different game and it’s a problem. I should have taken my 22hmr, which is a slick cartridge, faster than the 22 mag, I just bought this rifle 2 months ago, more bullet than the 17hmr not as fast but deadly. Instead I took my 12G with dead coyote in 3” but those dogs would have been stretching the barrel.:lol:

• Like 1

My brother law has been seein coyotes on his cameras, and they have been getting to be more & more. The turkey population has dropped to nearly nothing, and the deer come spring, the deer are showing less fawns since the dogs are in numbers up by him. Now Rodney has shot big bucks, he has a lease in Ohio where he shoots a wall hanger. His living room has one giant buck after another, plus he’s hard core turkey hunter. Now he wants to go coyote hunting, so I get all my gear, I gave him my 22/250, dialed in on a les than a dime, the gun shoots better then I can shoot it. I put a Trijicon 2.5-10X56 30mm, my fox pro caller and my decoy, I had the absolute most epic night as a caller. I took my shotgun with a tube they say is the best choke. Now it just about dark got decoy and caller going. My best 3 calls that work for me best are lucky bird, then I switch it up the coyote pup howls, then follow that up with coyote pup distress call, don’t you know I spotted the woods line nothing then I brought the light into the middle of the field a nice size dog fixed to the decoy sneaking up on it now it’s 100 yards plus, I held the light above the dogs head and shook the light, why isn’t he shooting!! So I put that light down and grabbed my shotgun because I have a extremely bright red lens and have that a fixed on top of my shotgun, then I shined with green light he still doesn’t shoot?? Soon this car turned around and it’s headlights shine on the field and the yote took off WFO across the field. So I walked up to him and I say why the F’k didn’t you shoot, Mike I didn’t see anything my god he sat down on that high hump in the field!! I’m sorry I didn’t see it and was wondering why you shook the red light and switched to the bright red light. We go to another sit same deal lucky bird coyote pup howl then I mess up so I thought, I put female invitations calls on don’t you know one barked to the back of us and another dog comes out of the woods this one stayed out there, nothing my 22/250 couldn’t handle, this time we sit together and he doesn’t see this one either. The dog slowly walked off. He says I better get my eyes checked, I can’t see them with or with out the light. I said that’s it till you figure out why you can’t see plus I don’t want to educate anymore of these dogs till you see what’s up with your eyes. To me it was a Epic night we had 3 dogs out with 2 sits, that’s awesome in my book, I said!! No kills but at least we had some serious action!! No more hunting till he gets glasses!!

Maybe his hat was over his eyes...lol. ah well, it happens ! That's why I always take the rifle even if I'm hoping to get my partner a shot... They don't shoot, I sure will ! Dogs are too dang smart to come in twice so u gotta capitalize on every chance. Next time....next time
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NymphO said:

Maybe his hat was over his eyes...lol. ah well, it happens ! That's why I always take the rifle even if I'm hoping to get my partner a shot... They don't shoot, I sure will ! Dogs are too dang smart to come in twice so u gotta capitalize on every chance. Next time....next time

That absolutely correct:yes: :yes:, I’ll lay down some lead next time that’s for sure!! That night was perfect in the 40’s the deer were moving, the night before a storm, it’ll be a long time before I’ll have another night calling with this much action. I use all yote sounds so that’s whats coming in, I’m not interested in fox or other critters. Usually if there’s eyes shining it’s a yote, only 1 other time I can recall a red came in on a yote pup in distress call.

Jr put a round into a yote in the backyard this am and it screamed like crazy as it ran off. Sounded like the coyote distress call on the fox pro at full blast for like 30 seconds.
Tons of blood but tough tracking in red brush. Followed the track for a while but had to go to work. Other boy is going to try to find it after he gets out of school.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Jr put a round into a yote in the backyard this am and it screamed like crazy as it ran off. Sounded like the coyote distress call on the fox pro at full blast for like 30 seconds.
Tons of blood but tough tracking in red brush. Followed the track for a while but had to go to work. Other boy is going to try to find it after he gets out of school.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Screams are usually a good thing. I'm sure you will find em. Good luck !!

After a week and a half and 3 trips to the veterans office I finally got my lead hound back on the ground again . He had a nasty infection from a yote bite in the face and couldn't see out of one eye. Well the fun started when they jumped 3 yotes in one flock, got shooting all morning and finally killed this female around noon.IMG_20180122_152642175_TOP.jpgIMG_20180131_140418417_TOP.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

WOW, that bite left a nasty looking infection in your dogs eye, that gives you even more drive to get out there and lay the smack down on those yotes!! My  theory is kill em’ all. I really had an eye opener last week when I took my brother in law out to get a tast of night hunting, that really opened my eyes as to how many critters really are out there!! 1 out of 3 ain’t bad.

I think I found my varmint rifle.  Howa 22-250 bolt act bolt action top load.  I think it is technically the Howa 1500 Ranchland 22-250 light weight Yote.

Looking for negative comments...  If you feel good about it I want to hear it too but I really want to hear the cons (if there are any).

I watched a red fox run around my yard in the moonlight this morning around 4am.  Not worth waking the family up for.  I have watched it before.  I love the route this thing takes when it leaves.  It goes away from the brush making me think that it has decided it is safer to go the long way to get out.

A8AA563E-6F69-4FB2-9FBF-96CB151BE121.thumb.jpeg.ae4aa682e99d22462422540917a696f6.jpegLOL, it’s not often you hear thank god for drugs, but in your sake that might have been a whole different ordeal. I ran beagles for years, and had my own litters, so you get really attached to these dogs. I gave it up one day a hunting on a Christmas tree farm we hunted for years and years. At the time this area was going through a building boom. Moral of the story is 2 of my dogs crossed the road as did the rabbit, I was running with all I had to get up there just not getting there in time and a lady that all I could make out came flying down the road and drove over 2 of my dogs and never slowed down or even stopped, killing one dog and completely mangled the other, the olnly humanely thing to do was put her out of misery, it took everything I had to do it but there was no bringing her back. I’m not gonna lie I cried like a baby. I never hunted those dogs again and I only went rabbit hunting once that was last year in that warm up in Feb. now I still have my beagle but this guy owns the roost!! He’s my buddy, he’s more human than dog.

Edited by pap
  • Like 1

Pap, Gorgeous dog.  He looks like he runs the house.  I too am a beagle man and had many misfortunes.  We had a mother daughter not return home.  We had the best dog we ever had just gone.  Pups stolen.  One got shot.  Right now I have a 16.5 year old.  I can't hunt her anymore and I won't replace her either.  I have had her longer than my family and that's all they have ever known.  I really don't know who will cry the most when she passess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BSmaster said:

I think I found my varmint rifle.  Howa 22-250 bolt act bolt action top load.  I think it is technically the Howa 1500 Ranchland 22-250 light weight Yote.

Looking for negative comments...  If you feel good about it I want to hear it too but I really want to hear the cons (if there are any).

I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel thumbhole in 22-250. It is a tack driver. Easily inside a bottle cap at 200 yds off the hood of a truck.  Don't believe I have ever heard of a problem with a Howa in general. Seem pretty rugged.  Only thing I would do over is get a lighter version like you are looking at. Mine is no fun to lug around and extremely difficult to shoot off hand!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BSmaster said:

Pap, Gorgeous dog.  He looks like he runs the house.  I too am a beagle man and had many misfortunes.  We had a mother daughter not return home.  We had the best dog we ever had just gone.  Pups stolen.  One got shot.  Right now I have a 16.5 year old.  I can't hunt her anymore and I won't replace her either.  I have had her longer than my family and that's all they have ever known.  I really don't know who will cry the most when she passess. 

Yea it’s tuff BS. They become part of the family. My daughters were 3 years old when we got him, and he’s grown up with them so all he knows is what we do, so he plays with his toys while the girls play with theirs.LOL

I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel thumbhole in 22-250. It is a tack driver. Easily inside a bottle cap at 200 yds off the hood of a truck.  Don't believe I have ever heard of a problem with a Howa in general. Seem pretty rugged.  Only thing I would do over is get a lighter version like you are looking at. Mine is no fun to lug around and extremely difficult to shoot off hand!!

Nothing bad to say. Solid round, good manufacturer. Not sure on the trigger, but if you not picky I'll bet she will pile fur for you. Me personally i can't go back to a bolt after running a semi... Follow ups are needed and it's nice to stay on the gun and pull. That one time u regret taking the bolt is enough for me !

Other than the Lucky Bird, that’s the only sound I use that could bring in anything other than a yote, then I’ll use all coyote vocals. Remembering now till March is breeding season, like I thought I messed up by playing the female invitation howl, my glasses kept fogging up and I thought I played long male howls, here I played female invatation howls, 2 dogs each do howls of their own, they were close. I can’t believe they busted us as we were in a fence row that split the two pieces of woods by a corn field. But we had them going. I rarely call in fox. To be honest I like it that way. That way I hunt with a 22/250. 243wsm or my 25/06 none of which are pelt friendly. All depends on where we are going is how I make my decision on what “howitzer”I’m taking.LOL

Edited by pap

10 hours ago, jimmac said:

Nice gun, the 22-250 is a killing machine. Not fur friendly at all on fox, fist size exits or bigger. I use the same caliber once fox season ends for yotes, prior to that I use a 17 WSM. I'm a fox guy first. All my fur gets put up.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How do you like that WSM? As far as knock down power and fur damage. I too want to focus on foxes, I have yet to bag one but have had much better luck calling in greys than yotes. So now I am carrying a .223 and a shotgun. I know the .223 will more than likely destroy a fox so I'm looking for something more fur friendly. Leaning towards .22 mag because they're affordable but also want something that would take a coyote so I'm wondering if a .22 hornet would better suit me or if the .17 WSM or .17 hornet would be worth a look.

I've not lost a fox yet and fur damage is minimal. I like the 22 mag for fox as well but the 17 wsm will reach out farther with more ft lb energy. I like it. Have only shot one coyote with it and he was at 40 yards and down he went. I doubt it would be lethal on a yote over 100 yards or if so you'd be looking for it for a while. Mine is a Savage Bmag with bull barrel and Boyds thumbhole stock.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app