calling all dogs

bondouley

I have a couple questions if someone is willing to help a rookie out. First, i read all the time how guys will do x number of sets in a night. How long do you stay in a set with no activity before you move? When you move to the next set, how far is it from your last set? Secondly, with it being breeding season, is there one or two things I could focus on to increase my odds? Lastly, I've been told that they like to make dens in the piles of tree tops after a property has been logged. Is this true? I'm hunting our property in Central Pa that is approximately 400 acres which is all timber. A little over a year ago we had about 40 acres timbered off and it's littered with tops. 
Thanks for any help and I absolutely love this site, seems like a great group of people!

Often while strictly targeting coyotes my sets will be as long as 45 minutes this time of year and even longer if something leads me to believe I have a dog interested. Early season sets will be much shorter. As short as 15 minutes on a small wood lot "fox spot" and maybe 25 minutes when targeting larger areas I know hold yotes. March is by far my favorite month to call. I almost exclusively use coyote vocals with lots of single female howls with long gaps of silence in between. Your spot could very likely be 1 set, it may be something where u could do multiple sets. It all depends on how it's set up. Is it surrounded by fields? Is it something you can only target in certain winds? Is there open land in the center somewhere? Do you plan on hunting in the actual timber? When I say I did 7 sets last night I mean 7 different properties, run and gun, get back in the truck and move to the next and out of almost 100 different properties we have to hunt most of them only get hit 1 or 2 times the whole season. New spots and dogs that haven't played the game and aren't constantly harassed certainly make the job easier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Would this timeframe be comparable to that of the rut for deer?    Do the coyotes Tend to Rome outside of their normal range more frequently now?   

In my opinion yes. They are running for sure.
Great time of the year to get on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In my opinion yes. They are running for sure.
Great time of the year to get on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Agreed. Guys running dogs will tell you the same. All of a sudden they'll start killing multiple males out of 1 wood block in a weekend. All of them chasing the same hot female. Amazing how the switch flips and all of the sudden they can't resist a howl.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

I have a couple questions if someone is willing to help a rookie out. First, i read all the time how guys will do x number of sets in a night. How long do you stay in a set with no activity before you move? When you move to the next set, how far is it from your last set? Secondly, with it being breeding season, is there one or two things I could focus on to increase my odds? Lastly, I've been told that they like to make dens in the piles of tree tops after a property has been logged. Is this true? I'm hunting our property in Central Pa that is approximately 400 acres which is all timber. A little over a year ago we had about 40 acres timbered off and it's littered with tops. 

Thanks for any help and I absolutely love this site, seems like a great group of people!

my general rule of thumb and a calm night is 30 to 45 mins per set.  Make sure the last call you always do before you get up is yote pup distress.  If they are in the area they will usually come in running to that call.   I dont have 2 set ups that are close to each other anymore.  My spots all have miles in between them but on a calm night/day id move proabably half mile in open country and at least a couple hundred yrds.   The most important thing is pay attention to the wind after all they are dogs that will smell you and if that happens you will never see them.   Also do not over call that was the hardest thing for me to understand when i first started using electronic calls.  Remember they are just calls not magic.   Good luck hope this info helps!

• Like 1

This time of year I'm also 30-35 mins on a set. Its coyote time. Fox at night are my priority before that and my sets are 15 mins then move. Right now I enjoy dawn and dusk, nothing like a yote coming in without having to rely on lights. This time of year its easier to get them to move with some daylight....either looking for love or being territorial.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looks like this is the last weekend of ice fishing. Monday my fiancee and I will be scouting and knocking on doors. A week from tomorrow will begin hardcore hunting till the end of the season. 22-250 for me and 12 guage #4 buckshot for the Mrs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Lots of great advice. Thanks to all. I'm going to see if the wife can somehow post a picture from google maps of our property and the surrounding area. Thats way beyond my computer skills lol! Maybe you fellas will be able to tell me how you would attack the area.

Wind. That's the biggest factor for any property. If the wind is wrong, don't hunt it because you will prob regret it or educate a yote that you never see.

Not sure if this is going to work. However, if the picture is correctly attached, you can get an idea of what I have to work with. Some side info is this property is just under 400 acres and on the north face of the mountain, everything on our side of the mountain is private, everything on the other side is several thousand acres of state forrest. The large power line near the top of the mountain is about 130 yards wide and was clear cut about 4 years ago, now you can't see 10 feet into it its so dense with saplings and briars. I also have permission to hunt the farms to the bottom right of the picture. I should also note when I say "roadway" its our private, gated mountain roads.Slide1.thumb.jpg.f55e65f7345444754e6056d3f255cd9f.jpg

Edited by yellowjacket

Not sure if this is going to work. However, if the picture is correctly attached, you can get an idea of what I have to work with. Some side info is this property is just under 400 acres and on the north face of the mountain, everything on our side of the mountain is private, everything on the other side is several thousand acres of state forrest. The large power line near the top of the mountain is about 130 yards wide and was clear cut about 4 years ago, now you can't see 10 feet into it its so dense with saplings and briars. I also have permission to hunt the farms to the bottom right of the picture. I should also note when I say "roadway" its our private, gated mountain roads.Slide1.thumb.jpg.f55e65f7345444754e6056d3f255cd9f.jpg

Well, you can be productive this time of year with some early morning hunts in the timber. Or, nighttime if you stay in those lower fields and pull them out of the timber. It depends on prevailing winds but with any call, there's no need to go too deep in and get backdoored or have them wind you. Keep any kind of barrier between you and your backside. Call between you and the wind so that when they come in you have a clear view of downwind from the call, cause that's where they will come. Play the wind, don't go too deep and just let the call bring em across the property right to you.