calling all dogs

bondouley

15 hours ago, NymphO said:

Well, you can be productive this time of year with some early morning hunts in the timber. Or, nighttime if you stay in those lower fields and pull them out of the timber. It depends on prevailing winds but with any call, there's no need to go too deep in and get backdoored or have them wind you. Keep any kind of barrier between you and your backside. Call between you and the wind so that when they come in you have a clear view of downwind from the call, cause that's where they will come. Play the wind, don't go too deep and just let the call bring em across the property right to you.

exactly right!

Thought we were going to have a pic to post today of a really cool black one last night. Had a pair out back around 11 and junior had a shot at it trotting across the field.
It dropped with the shot but by the time we got to the spot it was gone. Kid went out this morning but the blood dried up and couldn’t find it. Too bad, from 130 yards it looked awesome. Kids sick over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hunted southerntier last night. Had two packs converge but with shifty winds they never showed themselves for a shot. Did a couple more sets, saw one dog in the field as we entered and couldn't get him back. Was a good night though, wind held off and fun was had. Wil try and stay on em as it should get good next couple weeks

Did 3 sets last night after 10 when the wind died. First set I saw 3 dogs, first 2 running about 800 yards off and never came to play and the third crossed my field about 500 off toward the end of the set and showed zero interest in anything my fox pro had to say. Plenty of dogs but I have a feeling somebody has been pushing buttons on their e caller out that way. 2nd set was empty so I decided to hit a spot on the way home I've taken 3 dogs from this year but all 3 had mange. Right from the first howl I had a dog responding to me off to the north. I called sparingly for about 35 minutes with him responding each time I mad a noise with the fox pro. Finally I said f-it and set off pup distress and pup screams at the same time with the fusion. Sure enough he came screaming in from the north and was heading downwind. He slowed up on his own and I dropped him at about 180 before he winded me. Sure enough I walk up to a demon looking low 20lb dog with zero fur from his hips back and not much anywhere else. No thanks. He's still out there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rubbing sucks too. Makes pelts worthless.

Pelts aren't great this year. Fur buyer at Foxpro event said it's from the extreme cold and snow, all the guard hairs freezing into the snow when they lay down. I had 7 reds and a grey and a yote from those 2 nights and every one was patchy and missing much of the long hairs. Nothing but wool. It's too bad because they were amazing Nov and Dec but I haven't had great luck since.

Congrats!! That’s a nice looking dog also, but a much better one now!!:lol: thanks for posting!! We got pounded with 8” of snow last night, so our plans didn’t materialize. It was snowing a inch per hr. Or better.

Did 3 sets last night after 10 when the wind died. First set I saw 3 dogs, first 2 running about 800 yards off and never came to play and the third crossed my field about 500 off toward the end of the set and showed zero interest in anything my fox pro had to say. Plenty of dogs but I have a feeling somebody has been pushing buttons on their e caller out that way. 2nd set was empty so I decided to hit a spot on the way home I've taken 3 dogs from this year but all 3 had mange. Right from the first howl I had a dog responding to me off to the north. I called sparingly for about 35 minutes with him responding each time I mad a noise with the fox pro. Finally I said f-it and set off pup distress and pup screams at the same time with the fusion. Sure enough he came screaming in from the north and was heading downwind. He slowed up on his own and I dropped him at about 180 before he winded me. Sure enough I walk up to a demon looking low 20lb dog with zero fur from his hips back and not much anywhere else. No thanks. He's still out there.

[/url]

Mange or not a dead yote is still a good yote. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pelts aren't great this year. Fur buyer at Foxpro event said it's from the extreme cold and snow, all the guard hairs freezing into the snow when they lay down. I had 7 reds and a grey and a yote from those 2 nights and every one was patchy and missing much of the long hairs. Nothing but wool. It's too bad because they were amazing Nov and Dec but I haven't had great luck since. 

Six of our 8 have had good pelts. 3 or 4 have had great coats. Alarm just went off. Had eyes but no clean shot. Maybe it will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Six of our 8 have had good pelts. 3 or 4 have had great coats. Alarm just went off. Had eyes but no clean shot. Maybe it will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
I wish I could say the same. My early foxes were amazing but the later ones were pretty messed up, just wool for the most part with lots of patchy spots. Still put up 10 of 16 killed. The fur buyer didn't want any of the 8 I had at the contest (I hate skinning them after 2 days) but I put up 2 of the 8 that still had decent fur in my mind. Of the 13 yotes I've got down this year only 6 were worth doing. Hopefully I can find some good ones before the end because there's lots of room in my 2nd mailing box heading to mink and moyle.

Still some time left. Would have loved to have put hands on the black one we missed.
Alarm just went off again. Fox, letting them go unless it keeps coming out lol.

Still some time left. Would have loved to have put hands on the black one we missed.
Alarm just went off again. Fox, letting them go unless it keeps coming out lol.

Might want to let it go period since it closed 3 days ago. Lmao. Good luck. March is my favorite month. Looking foward to it.

Uncle, back again. Drove to Ann Arbor Michigan and back today to watch my kid play lax. Long day, turning off the alarm, turning it back on at 2. Hopefully it’s full and gone soon.