calling all dogs

bondouley

Man it’s blowing like all hell down here, let alone hoofing through at least 2’of snow. Later next weekend supposed to be in the mid 50’s so they say, just watched the news and we could get hit by another storm, man I’m so ready for spring!!!

I got out tonight for 5 sets.   Very minimal snow here, some spots didn’t even have snow cover on the ground.   Had dogs respond on first 2 sets but to never draw them out of the wood line.  I was running a grieving grey fox call and had one come through the woods barking till it got close to the fields edge and then nothing.    Anybody ever have them come in in similar fashion.  Sounded more like a deeper bark verse a yip.      Last set we had 4 different fox come running in.  You guys are spot on that fox did not care about the lights beaming on them.  Good fun night with nothing to show for it though.  

I got out tonight for 5 sets.   Very minimal snow here, some spots didn’t even have snow cover on the ground.   Had dogs respond on first 2 sets but to never draw them out of the wood line.  I was running a grieving grey fox call and had one come through the woods barking till it got close to the fields edge and then nothing.    Anybody ever have them come in in similar fashion.  Sounded more like a deeper bark verse a yip.      Last set we had 4 different fox come running in.  You guys are spot on that fox did not care about the lights beaming on them.  Good fun night with nothing to show for it though.  

"Challenge" bark is usually not good. Kinda like when you walk up to a strangers house and the dog barks at you. Challenge calls can be a great last resort to dogs that won't commit during the rut phase. Kinda like a hail Mary. As far as them barking on the way in, in my experience they are interested in your call but they see/smell/hear something they don't like. If you hear a bark you can almost guarantee the dogs will be sneaking down wind before committing to anything. I know of a few times where the wind shifted or one snuck in down wind and started barking. Usually when I hear that I start swearing in my head. For my sets, if I know one is close to winding me, and/or barking I shut up, give it plenty of time and pull out. No need to educate a dog that's on high alert.

We were going to go last night but the wind never laid down around here and had plans to hunt this ladies horse farm land, so we called her and asked if it was windy up there and she said yes very windy, so we decided to call our hunt off. There will be better times, with less or no wind. I went to a Dennis Kirk seminar, and one of the things he mentioned is any wind better than 5-10mph your taking a big chance at getting winded and you’ll never call that dog to the same spot again. As much as I want to try out our new lights I also want to kill one not get busted. So till next time, I’ll just sit here snuggled in with mom.:lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching mallards, woodys and Turkeys when I saw a yote come out. Was behind brush for a couple minutes and I got a shot. None of the kids were home so I took him out. Dropped in his tracks.
A little rubbed and a touch of mange but still a lot of fun.
Pic coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United