calling all dogs

bondouley

Whaler. Nice work !!

Went out to a local farm cause the farmer said he heard dogs night before. Called in 4 different fox, 2 cats (barn) and had 2 coons. So no shots but tons of action in an hour sit. Have a few other locals by me mention hearing dogs close to one of my new spots I haven't tried yet. Will hit that spot this week for the hail mary

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

About 10 pages back I remember a lot of questions about NV vs Thermal and types of NV. At the time I recommend digital NV and particularly the Sellmark photon. Here is an example of what you can expect from a $600 photon rt 4.5-9x42. Recording is from built in on board recording using a $40 aftermarket 850 ir.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go get em! Still a little time left.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Heading out in a few. Been a tough month. Last dog was Feb 17 and last 23 sets have came up empty. Although I can blame 3 misses on trying to get buddies a coyote. Playing "guide" is tough sometimes.

• Like 1

Had 1 last goal for the year and that was to put my buddy on a late season yote. Took a couple trips but we got it done on the 3rd set tonight. Dogs were very vocal and this little female committed at the 32 minute mark to fox pros female submissive. Played 7 minutes of pup distress after she dropped and started over to grab our prize. Sure enough a dog comes in on her trail and I couldn't get still enough without my tripod to seal the deal on the double. (Shooting off ur partners back is an awful way to keep still by the way). Lol

The lines in the video are caused from the core starting to freeze on the thermal. 3 straight long sets without a break was apparently enough to make it happen. I've seen it in my handheld monocular on frigid days but never got the scope cold enough to make it happen until tonight.

FB_IMG_1521703983127.jpg

Edited by iiwhistlerii
  • Like 1

Excellent footage, Whistler, it’s been a crazy month here in Pa. there was only a few night this month that it wasn’t blowing like hell, of course I wasn’t feeling so good had a case of some bug. Really laid the smack down on my ass, LOL, the rest of the time it’s been snowing, just like yesterday, 10.1/2” of snow, so today will be a clean up day, and get the heavy snow off my boat covers. Been one screwy month for us. Anyway congrats to your hunt. Sounds like you guys didn’t have it easy either. Usually this month is a productive mont being it’s the mating season, we don’t quit we stay after them year round, just not as aggressive. Fishing for eyes trumps coyote hunting:lol:

11 hours ago, iiwhistlerii said:

Just for comparison this is my pulsar thermal from the same spot the same night for comparison. Herd of deer didn't care for whimpers.

wow what a difference!

On 3/22/2018 at 4:32 AM, pap said:

Excellent footage, Whistler, it’s been a crazy month here in Pa. there was only a few night this month that it wasn’t blowing like hell, of course I wasn’t feeling so good had a case of some bug. Really laid the smack down on my ass, LOL, the rest of the time it’s been snowing, just like yesterday, 10.1/2” of snow, so today will be a clean up day, and get the heavy snow off my boat covers. Been one screwy month for us. Anyway congrats to your hunt. Sounds like you guys didn’t have it easy either. Usually this month is a productive mont being it’s the mating season, we don’t quit we stay after them year round, just not as aggressive. Fishing for eyes trumps coyote hunting:lol:

Here is the fun footage from that night. Hunting partners make awful shooting benches.  If the scenario ever comes up for anybody out there, just shoot off hand.  Lol

https://youtu.be/eNdb2C7k4UE

I wrapped up my first season of coyote hunting.   It was a good year with learning and calling in some dogs and fox. I was lucky to have shot one coyote.   I hunted sat afternoon with my wife and only managed to call in 4 crows.  (since she has enjoyed going out there so much.... she is encouraging me to go out and buy better products for next season)  The fresh dog tracks dried up considerably out there also but they still move the area.   Got out again from sunset to 12:30 with a buddy last night.   Very quiet on the yote end but pulled something to the field edge that would never commit and also had one fox charge in on the caller.    Nice job to everyone out there And thank you for advice given.    Hoping somebody post on more coyote before the season closes.   

Oh your season closes?? Ours in Pa. is 24/7/365 we don’t quit till the walleye season starts but we use the coyote season to subdue our nuttiness:lol:!! When Mother Nature keeps us off the lakes for many days at a clip. To all that the season quits, thanks a bunch for the info on better products mentioned by some and other tactics that were useful. We will keep the board alive as much as possible, maybe we can run it into next years continuation of this thread. Thanks to Iwhistler for the awesome videos!! And all others who contributed to the thread

33 minutes ago, iiwhistlerii said:

I figure I can squeeze 3 sets in b4 it's done. Wish me luck.

You got all prayers for a few kills tonight??? Good Bro, go get um!!!

• 4 months later...

You guys have a closed season on coyotes?? If so that sucks, my brother in law and I scored a all black and regular colored dog a week or so ago. We can hunt them 24/7-365 here in pa.