Downrigger weights

I'm going to be looking to buy a couple weights. When I first started trolling a few years ago it was for walleye on lake Erie. I have 10lb cannon round weights which was fine for what I bought them for. But now going into my 2nd full year on Lake Ontario. Most of the time the 10lb weight are ok. Problem I had was in July when fishing deep. Would 12lb weights be ok to fish around the 100' range ? Is there one style of weights that track better than another ? From what I have heard is that the pancake weights don't track as good. If it matters I fish from the bar to Olcott. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I started with 10 lbs cannonballs myself. I switched to 10 lbs shark weights made by Bikinibottom here on the site. They worked better, but still a lot of blowback past 100’. Last year I got a pair of 13 lbs torpedo weights and that made a lot of difference. They track well and reduced blowback by a lot. Out 110’ (without crazy currents) my weights are in the high 90s for depths.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Troutman on here has the 13# torpedo weights that track about as good as your gonna find. BikiniBottom weights run well also, I think someone either Shark or Bikini have 16#ers if need be. I fish eyes and Troutmans 13# torps is more than sufficient for me, those chasing big Crome might have to get into the heavier weights, I know a few charters that pull that heavy lead, to be successful at times that’s what it takes.

Check the load rating on your riggers and try to match it, within reason. My Cannons can do 12 pounds, so I have 12 pound torpedos.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My Penn manuals are rated for 12lbs and I’m using 13s. Got through one season. Keeping my fingers crossed!

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy

Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

2 hours ago, pap said:

Troutman on here has the 13# torpedo weights that track about as good as your gonna find. BikiniBottom weights run well also, I think someone either Shark or Bikini have 16#ers if need be. I fish eyes and Troutmans 13# torps is more than sufficient for me, those chasing big Crome might have to get into the heavier weights, I know a few charters that pull that heavy lead, to be successful at times that’s what it takes.

I'll second Troutmans torpedoes, he makes them in different weights.

I have older mag 10’s max weight is supposed to be 12#’s been lifting the 10# torps for years and the later season eyes I’ve used the 13# torps. But not near as much use of the riggers with the 13’s. I wouldn’t suggest yanking them from the depths of laker land with mag 10’s. I’m now in the process of getting my Lake Masters wired up and back into service. I have mag 20’s also but I just can’t get use to this slow delay into high speed up or down. The Lake Masters are like my older Cannons speed up and down with the strength of a mag 20 or close to it. A perfect situation if all goes well. Best of luck to you!!! If he doesn’t have any on stock, you might have to wait till spring as his melting process is outdoors. This happened to me a few years ago. He might have some in stock as he has a spot in the fishing expo in March near Lake Seneca. If you go to that call to make sure he has them first, pick them up at the show. Just a thought??

Ok Pap. I appreciate the help. Not a problem waiting til spring. I will be running the lower Niagara til then anyway. I just needed some feedback on what track the best. I would have thought that the pancake weights would track better than they do with less resistance. But that appears not to be the case. Do you know if he will be at the show in Niagara falls? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app