Church Walleye Boards

Last week we running a 4 board spread out the sides of the boat. Two Walleye boards on each side, one about 40' the other close to 20'.

On the port side, the board that was at 40' came out of the water close to 6' and disappeared before I could get out of my seat. Once up we noticed the board pop up 20' on the starboard side,by the time I got the rod in my had there was no weight from any fish. We were fishing in over 200' of water so I know it was not bottom. 

Just wondering if anyone one has an idea of how big this fish might have been? We have been hooking up a lot of Browns in the 3 to 6 lb range over the last two months. 

It’s too tough to tell fish size when you never see it. The famous tale of the one that got away.

Inline boards work well most of the times but there are times when even a hit from a smaller fish that the board may catch a wave just right and it dive bombs and goes wherever it wants. It often digs down and side planes wherever the current takes it.

Not saying that’s what happened to you but it happens every so often

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Let me see if I am reading this right. The board went skyward 6 feet? I have seen them go backwards like snagged, go under like snagged, flip over in a wave and try to tangle with the opposite spread, but never seen one go airborne upwards of 6'. Wild. My guess. A steelhead hit the bait, lifted the whole thing out of the water, and shook itself free.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also find it odd that you have been hooking lots of Browns in over 200fow this time of year. Is that common on LO? We usually find Browns that deep on Lake Michigan only in the summer when the water close to shore gets really warm.

Maybe you meant your board jumped 6 inches, not 6 feet? 6 feet is very hard to believe. It sounds to me like your board flipped, submarined, and ran the wrong direction until it righted itself and came back to the surface closer to center like guffins fishermen mentioned. 

Really doubt the fish pulled the board to the other side of the boat. Once a board goes under they flip over and pull to the other side. As long as there is pressure it will keep pulling to the other side. Once the fish let go or you let up on the pressure on the board it will resurface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, Jerryriggin 2 said:

Really doubt the fish pulled the board to the other side of the boat. Once a board goes under they flip over and pull to the other side. As long as there is pressure it will keep pulling to the other side. Once the fish let go or you let up on the pressure on the board it will resurface.

There was only two of us in the boat, otherwise, I would have had my mast up. Not much of a current. Browns are on the surface now. 

Gentlemen, I am an old guy with no reason to fib to anyone. 

Yes, I am sure the board went back they always do.

We have been fishing Shasta Lake Ca since the beginning of Nov for the Browns heading out of the lake to go spawn upriver, The surface temp has been in the high 40's

yes this board was every bit above my head, then in less than a blink of an eye it was back under the water then surfaced on the opposite side of the boat, In all my years I have never had this happen before. 

.We never saw the fish all we have been hooking up have been Browns maybe one or two Rainbows, We have been trolling between 3.8 & 4.1 mph surface speed using Optimizer lures number 3's & 4's . here is a link to my facebook page with pictures of the Browns we have been catching. https://www.facebook.com/stan.kulak.7?ref=bookmarks  yes are Browns are nothing compared to what you guys hook up, but for here there not bad.

I had a seagull take a bomber this spring and the board went in the air real quick. Really no way for a fish to pull it up in the air unless it was ruff or running short setbacks. I dont doubt some of the ocean fish being able to pull off a feat like this. But in 32 years catching salmon and trout on the great lakes had one that could pull a board like you describe.

Not calling you a fibber, just saying I have had boards jump, land wrong, submarine and shoot to the center before with no fish on the end. It usually happens in a good chop if the weight isn't set right for the setup running behind it. The flags seem to make it worse so I remove my flags.

The six foot statement is a bit hard to believe, but I assumed you meant 6 inches...

19 minutes ago, Tyee II said:

Not calling you a fibber, just saying I have had boards jump, land wrong, submarine and shoot to the center before with no fish on the end. It usually happens in a good chop if the weight isn't set right for the setup running behind it. The flags seem to make it worse so I remove my flags.

The six foot statement is a bit hard to believe, but I assumed you meant 6 inches...

I don't have flags, my boards are old, there was no chop to speak of maybe a couple inches at the most. I use these same boards for pulling 400' of Copper in the Spring