New to predator hunting- advice needed

Legacy

So I am brand new to predator hunting and I need solid advice. I have talked about it long enough and I finally really want to get into it. I am 100% looking for equipment advice to get me started. What do I have to have? Give me your ultimate or favorite setups! 

Shotgun?

Rifle?

Optics?

Lights?

Loads?

Calls?

Decoys?

Loaded question(s)

Do you have a shotgun/rifle already ??

To blindly answer your questions

.223/.243/22-250/.204 w/factory hornady

Optics, as much as you can afford (thermal is ultimate)

Lights, a good headlamp for scanning and kill light in red LED

Hand calls are great, FoxPro with the tx1000 remote (is ultimate)

Decoy that attached to FoxPro (foxjack) so you control movement.

• 1 month later...

Rifle : 223 / 5.56 . How much do you want to spend ? I use a Browning BLR [ almost as fast as a semi-auto ]

Shotgun 12 gauge 40 buckshot [ coyotes are either too far away or too close ; our last one was taken on Dec 23 at 5 yds running at the shooter !]  

Optics again  how much do you want to  spend ?  My Leupold works just fine !

Only hand held calls [ bellows type ] have worked for us !

Decoys not working yet but we keep trying !

• Like 1

22-250 is by far the best coyote gun out there hands down! It is a little big for fox if your trying to keep the pelts. I have yet to loose a coyote after shooting it with my 250. I know a guy who use to use a 204 but switched after loosing a couple yotes. If your trying to save the pelts then id say a 204 for sure but if you dont care about them or are strictly after yotes then 22 - 250 is what you want. Hard to find a flatter shooting and harder hitting round. Great thread on this on the bark at the moom website also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wicked lights for your gun and one for scanning if your planning on hunting after dark which is usually best outside of extreme cold. Daytime you definitely want a decoy and really any decoy that moves will work. You can call them in during daylight with no decoy but usually its a far shot cause they will hang up on the wood line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the MOJO decoy with the spinner it runs and stops on its own and it’s silent, I also spray lure on the spinner to get scent into the air. I use Code Blue scents it’s to make a different yote think another one has invaded his/her turf. I use a 12ga. 3” and shoot heavy shot #4 buck with a external chock tube at 75 yards there’s enough holes in a 12” paper plate to knock a yote into submission, and have stretched the barrel with success at that distance. Looks like you shot into a lime bag at closer distances. Wish I could remember the chock tubes name. It’s just for shooting heavy shot loads. Also praise the 22/250. I’m seriously looking at the creedmore 5mm. Just what I need another varment gun!!???

• Like 1