Leader question

You'll notice here that with some of the shorter leader lengths folks are keeping them pretty much close to their rod length unless using slide divers. Unless you are real comfortable (and competent) at handlining fish and especially if you fish solo very much, and perhaps have never experienced handlining an unruly king:lol: it is a good rule of thumb to follow. Although I use fluoro leaders generally from 12 - 20 lb test and high quality solid ring swivels  for various things (depending on where fishing and the circumstances) but mono seems a better choice for running leaders from dipsys on wire as there is a bit of stretch to it and fluoro is less "forgiving" when large or aggressive kings are in the mix. On the Finger Lakes 30 lb mono is fine (in case of hang ups etc.) but during late season Lake O fishing kings I switch to 40 lb. Big Game mono and tie my flies with 50 lb Big game as a little shock absorption protection (never had one break yet but have had 40 lb fluoro on commercially tied flies break). Mono tends to be a little softer than fluoro and not as stiff or brittle in colder weather and depending on knot I suspect maay have a little better breaking strength at the knot when cold.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1