Spoon size for spring Browns

Not typical to use mags for browns in spring in shallow water. Mostly regular stingers, dreamweavers, NK28's, NK Lites etc.... mostly regular size spoons in all makes. Scorpions and other smaller size spoons probably have their place depending upon conditions.

Edited by MikeyP

I wouldn't recommend running NK mags for early, cold water Browns. Larger spoons like the Stinger Stingrays definitely have there place. Generally speaking larger baits for aggressive fish and smaller baits for fish that are in a negative mood is a good rule of thumb.

Short shallows worked, but the shallow Smithwicks and J9, bombers in the shallow divers,  Dave’s Kabooms I really like, I’m more into spoons light flutter spoons, Michigan scorpion size 2 1/4” or other spoons in the 2 3/8” are my go to size.

Something that would require a split shot up the line to keep spoon under the water, this way you can run your boards close to shore.

Edited by pap

1 hour ago, hookedupf7 said:

Ok thanks I try to buy gear and lures all winter long for summer fishing. I am now currently working an Arsenal for spring Browns  Thanks guys

Bay Rat short shallows and long shallows work equally well. Dont forget about the Bay Rat S3 also. As for spoons Dreamweaver Super Slims are a favorite of mine for spring fishing.

What port are you going to fish out of?

Scorpions have their place for sure... daily on my port board rods. I hardly ran regular stingers on the boards this year. Ran a mix of evil eyes and stingers, reg and stingray on the couple riggers, and smithwicks (long and short) on the starboard board.

I tried Bay Rats... I gave them way too much time to do something... anything... I ran them a couple charters and got our limits on the other side of the boat those days. I tried half a dozen good looking colors and they never got bit for me. I paid full price and won't ever buy them again. Actually, if you come to Oswego, you can try mine.

But...

Bay Rats did look good running and nice colors too. Guys certainly boast about them. They didn't work for me.

Edited by Broadhorizons
  • Like 1

We went out of catfish creek for the first time last year. I really enjoyed it . Slow day managed two cookie cutters. Talked to charter captain and he said it was a tough bite that day so I feel we accomplished something. Both fish came on stinger scorpions. That’s all I had for spoons at the time. I do a lot of fishing in the central Adirondacks. Trying to build a good spring brown collection now

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan get ahold of me I'll steer you in the right direction. Got a few good tips from my charter buddies and was catching as many and sometimes more than the charters I was out with on those days. I ended buying 20 of a particular stick bait and ran everything in the water that same bait on some given days couldn't keep them in the water on 10 different trips.

Edited by juthunter32

I also ran several bayrats for many hours and never took a fish out of Oswego. Better off with the jr. Thundersticks and the smithwicks on the East end of the lake I guess. Also a big thing to consider is leader lbs, material, and length. Swivels attached to spoons will give a completely different lure action than say just a duolock snap. As well as snaps and swivels on stickbaits.

Edited by juthunter32

Light leaders on riggers and board lines. I caught fish on bay rats but a straight rapala f9, f11 are hard to beat. In realitivly clear conditions blue and silver rapala are great. 

Wd spoons are a great spoon in the spring.