Off a Dipsy

Looking for some info on what I can run off the back of dipsy divers. I am using 9 foot ugly sticks, med/light with Penn 320gt's load with 17lb mono. I do use these trolling for Lake trout on Keuka Lake. I currently use off-shore tadpoles with either just a spoon, a spoon behind a small cowbell or a small dodger and spoon. I recently got some size 3/0 and 0 dipsy divers and would like to know if I can run the dodgers and cowbells off them. And do I require a shocker if so.

Thanks.

I'd recommend getting a wire setup. Roller rod 8' med heavy, okuma blue diamond really nice, an okuma Coldwater 30 size with 1000' of 30 lb SS wire. The 17 lb line you have is a bit light if you plan on running it in any other lake.. You can run any size dipsy with whatever you want behind the wire setup plus you get less drag using wire. I have found that 30 lb big game runs nicely behind the dipsy. With the good clicker on the Coldwater you can let it out with just that. A snubber will help the dipsy from spinning while letting it out. The lead behind the dipsy is usually key I like a longer 12-15' lead and then hand line the fish in. Run whatever you like off the dipsy I like a SD with a UV fly.. But for Keuka I'd say a small perch colored spoon will out catch anything.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looking for some info on what I can run off the back of dipsy divers. I am using 9 foot ugly sticks, med/light with Penn 320gt's load with 17lb mono. I do use these trolling for Lake trout on Keuka Lake. I currently use off-shore tadpoles with either just a spoon, a spoon behind a small cowbell or a small dodger and spoon. I recently got some size 3/0 and 0 dipsy divers and would like to know if I can run the dodgers and cowbells off them. And do I require a shocker if so.

Thanks.

What is the shallowest, average and deepest depths you need to reach on Keuka Lake during your fishing season?

I ask because if you need to reach deeper depths you may need larger size divers which may require a more powerful rod to tow them.

Owner John's Custom Rods

Specializing in building Great Lakes trolling rods since 1979

First place winner of the 2016 World Rod Building Challenge

Well, you basically need a full size dipsy to reach those depths and if you want to pull cowbells, which have a bit of drag, that’ll mean you really need a diver rod that can pull the diver and attractor combo.

If you run into fleas while trolling, you might want to consider a wire setup, it’s the easiest to keep clean. If you don’t run into fleas, I’d probably switch the 17lb mono for braid. Both wire and braid will more easily reach the depths you want to troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you want to invest in a wire rod Nautitroller way is best, other wise I’d run 30-50 Power Pro, I have that on every reel I own. I’m not to much into the kings but lakers to keep the kids morale up yes indeed, I run Blood Run 30# sea Flea with a 30# PP backer, still got all my gear. 

For laker flashers I’ve had the most success with dodgers (smoke/trash can or green) as well as Hammerhead cowbells. I find the Hammerhead cowbells pull a lot less than the large Luhr Jensen / Les Davis style. I fish mainly Lake Huron, but use the same technique in remote Canada - except instead of downriggers and dragging bottom we use 3 way swivels with a weight (2 oz to 12oz). I haven’t tried dipsies for lakers, but just wanted to mention info regarding the flashers. You can buy smoke Dodgers from Yeck....and randomly find old stock Luhr Jensen in bait stores (I found 3 in the last 2 years). I buy my hammerheads from LOU member Gambler. Behind the cowbells or dodgers I use Gambler Rigs (double spin n glows), spoons, or a rigged back to back treble with about 3 minnows.

To fish Lakers in LakeO “Gambler Rigs” he’s won more laker contests than anybody I know other than my buddy LakerTaker, he fishes Lake Michigan, but Brian has a site on line to purchase the best laker catching bells plus the spin&glows type Riggs, they are and work sweet!!! I’d highly recommend taking a looks at his site!! I’d assume it would be Gambler Riggs .com

Edited by pap

You are welcome Bait Bucket. Pink Dot and Green Monster were my top producers, in the Magnum size, along with confusion, crystalina, and lake trout killer cowbells in the 5/0 size. You may want to pull the 4/0 size if you are running behind a dipsy. Color depends on the day. I keep switching until I find the right combination of rig color and flasher type (cowbells vs Dodgers).