Anyone have any experience using a black box to regulate the voltage field of your boat?  My boat came with one and was wondering if it might be worth hooking it up.

I know the newer cannon downriggers come with this positive ion built in so there might be something to it.  Does it really make a difference?

I put one on this year and am a believer. The number of streakers increased significantly. You will have to play with your setting per species and probably need to mess with your rigging to fish it.

If you currently run Cannons, it will mess up the short stop. They will still stop but only after the ball hits the pulley... I just waited for it and manually stopped it. I switched to Scotty's in August anyway.

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, Broadhorizons said:

I put one on this year and am a believer. The number of streakers increased significantly. You will have to play with your setting per species and probably need to mess with your rigging to fish it.

If you currently run Cannons, it will mess up the short stop. They will still stop but only after the ball hits the pulley... I just waited for it and manually stopped it. I switched to Scotty's in August anyway.

I wonder if the charge on the cable of the cannon downrigger will work the same way as the black box? I like the auto stop feature of my cannon downrigger, so I guess the black box will have to wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of my old boat. I can't say for sure if it helped but I at least felt more confident using it. An older boat is more likely to have some electrical problems. If you've got it, it can't hurt using it as long as you've got the charge in the ball park.