Painting lead jigs...

Just a little "preprocess" commentary - It is important to do it outside or in some outdoor well ventilated building, wearing gloves when handling it  and a good quality respirator mask while heating it. Lead fumes can really mess you up as well as directly handling the lead itself. I know there will be folks who may say it is BS they have been doing it for years but it is something that can mess you up bad in a variety of ways without it being evident for some time. It is best to undercoat the jigs with a primer of some type before painting to avoid it flaking off

i found just straight dipping in the paint was the best coating.  I would do them all white than do another color over that if desired if i just did the color over lead it wasn't as bright of a color.  After a while though I stopped painting them all together because I found the jig body I used made more of a difference and with the head a dull color it just took that out of the equation.  I also tie my own hair jigs now for stream trout and if i want color i use a color'd thread rather than painting the head.  

Its a fun hobby to get into making some of your own lures it helps pass the time you cant be on the water.  My next goal i think is to try making my own stick baits 

Powder paints are very durable with endless color options. Takes some money to get set up but provides a great hobby, especially if you are able to mold your own jigs. My cousin from Michigan sells powder paints and all the equipment to go along with them. He also has instructional videos.
https://tjstackle.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2 wait for a windy day and buy a decent respirator for pouringlead .. when I powder painted I bought a small oven $30 and got the jigs hot and dipped them in the powder.. I was doing smaller jigs and put them in the oven to cure.. maybe you can do the same by pouring the powder in a bin and dunking your hot jig in quick shake and let hang in the oven until their nice and glossy then take out and let them harden..

23 hours ago, ifishy said:

i found just straight dipping in the paint was the best coating.  I would do them all white than do another color over that if desired if i just did the color over lead it wasn't as bright of a color.  After a while though I stopped painting them all together because I found the jig body I used made more of a difference and with the head a dull color it just took that out of the equation.  I also tie my own hair jigs now for stream trout and if i want color i use a color'd thread rather than painting the head.  

Its a fun hobby to get into making some of your own lures it helps pass the time you cant be on the water.  My next goal i think is to try making my own stick baits 

Liquid paint I forget the brand but it was next to the jig molds on the shelf open the jar grab the jig by the eye with a tool dip it in the jar than hang it from a clothsline or string to dry overtime the paint in the jar dries up but you could add thinner to it. I do my lead pouring in the driveway on a different day. With small jigs I found keep it simple and make lots I don't even paint them anymore I add color with a soft plastic or a bait or some hair

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app