Did Oneida & The Finger Lakes Flood In 2017?

I'm curious if Oneida Lake and the Finger Lakes were impacted by the high water that Lake Ontario saw, you know... because of all that rain we had :lol:. Yes, we had a ton of rain last spring and early summer, but I know that our smaller inland lakes stayed real close to normal water levels all last year, even with all the rainfall. I don't remember hearing about high water on Oneida Lake or the Finger Lakes in 2017, but I don't live close to those lakes or fish those lakes.

the two finger lakes i fish were high in the spring . one permanent dock was under water for a little while and floating docks were fine and you din't need hip waders to get on the dock . by mid june every thing was fine 

There were boating restrictions from what I remember. If water could not be pushed out of Erie Canal due to high water on Ontario then the fingers connected directly or indirectly would have been effected also IMO. 

Todd:

I live on Oneida Lake near Shakelton Point (south shore), & the water can get up a little, but it would not be a problem like Ontario. The lake was drawn down a couple of feet through December & seems to be well controlled all year long.

Good Luck;

John

19 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Todd:

I live on Oneida Lake near Shakelton Point (south shore), & the water can get up a little, but it would not be a problem like Ontario. The lake was drawn down a couple of feet through December & seems to be well controlled all year long.

Good Luck;

John

It seems like they can control the Oneida Lake levels pretty good with the canal system locks and dams.

Speaking of that, is Oneida several feet lower now because they have the dams and locks open for winter?

• 3 weeks later...
I do not live near Oneida, but I would tend to think that Oneida wouldn't bee TOO bad since the water level can be somewhat controlled by the Erie Canal that runs through it.

Any thoughts??

The Oneida river drains Oneida Lake it joins the Seneca and Oswego at Three Rivers. The Oswego empties into Oswego harbor. So any flooding in Oneida lake could only add to the woes of Lake O

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app