for sale : usa knife sharpening bench

My father in law raised his family of 6 with a sharpening business. He had 2 sets of knifes for each client and would dropped off a set of sharp knifes while taking the other set to sharpen. This was his fathers business and started in the 1920's. So when my father in law turned 91 he finally gave up his last customer, "Charlie the Butcher" some of you from the Buffalo area may know this place. 

I have to sell his "work bench" it would need the buyer to disassemble to remove. Everything runs on 220V with a grind stone, a buffing wheel and yes an old hand stone, plus a air filter box. He never used the air box that I'm aware of but it is there.

I have no idea what this is worth but I don't want to leave it in the house when it sells, which is in the near future. Here are few pics, I would be happy to send more or talk about it. It's in Cheektowaga NY14225, just outside of Buffalo

Scott 

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Edited by scobar
pic added

I don’t own a knife with Chinese steel, those that use knives for a living know this. Just like my business, the only people that don’t ask price are the antique guys because the Chinese don’t have a clue about 6 Volt Generators on a car built in the 20’s up till mid 60’s just the same as when true hands of butcher that knows the difference between a sharp knife that doesn’t hold and edge and a real knife that you can shave with and still hold an edge if cutting on a wooden butcher block or board. Most all my knives are homemade. My family were tradesmen, and they all had to have sharp knives, from butchers to barn builders, knives, chisels, drawknife, you name it. They all needed what your grandfather has to offer, they could sharpen their own tools, but after a while they need that precise angle put back on that tool. There are those guys out there that need your grandfathers tooling so don’t give it away.

I remember as a younger lad, most all of my grand fathers butcher knives were made out of the old two man saw blades, just something with the way those older saw blades metals played a big role in their choice of steels, plus that way once the teeth were sharpened to many times over a lot of years, they wasted nothing!! If they wanted a thicker blade for whatever, they forged the 2 or 3 pieces of the saw blade together. I agree that most people wouldn’t plaque themselves with such work just for a knife these days, but it does shine a little light on why a good hunting or butcher knife costs a lot of money. I watch the show forged in fire a lot, because I can relate to what these guys are going through. Then they needed to go to scobars grandfather to get the precise angle on that blade so it will do what it’s intended to do. The different angles on a blade determined how long a edge will last and still be sharp. Usually my grandfather had 3 steps to sharpen his knives first was a oil bath type triangular stone that the corse side never got used. The two finer sides were wore in a u shape, than a diamond not round but a humped up in the middle steel, then a leather strap, which he used a lot to sharpen his razor. After that it was of to the shop that sharpened, everything, from razors to wooden lathe tooling, and lots of wood planer knives from sawmills, and different style knives for belt driven molding making machines, that made baseboards, crown molding. All that fancy scalloping on the outside of houses. Before they were done by hand but still had to be precise as it was hand/arm power. Best of luck again in finding someone that will use this tooling for what it was intended for!! 

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, scobar said:

Keeping it, hope to have it and running by spring and then hoping I can keep all of my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:rofl:. You'll have less fingers, but lots of friends. I'm crap at sharpening; it I can't do it with a Chef's Choice sharpening machine or the occasional hit with a sharpening steel, then I'm SOL. I'd love to know a guy who's good at keeping blades honed. I'm willing to trade expertise on a confocal fluorescent microscope, if that appeals :shake:. Or not.

:rofl:. You'll have less fingers, but lots of friends. I'm crap at sharpening; it I can't do it with a Chef's Choice sharpening machine or the occasional hit with a sharpening steel, then I'm SOL. I'd love to know a guy who's good at keeping blades honed. I'm willing to trade expertise on a confocal fluorescent microscope, if that appeals :shake:. Or not.

Deal, that fancy scope sounds cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app