SLR ice

Kevin J Legg

13 minutes ago, EsoxAC3 said:

Never caught a dogfish thru the ice.... though im quite sure they bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We used to get them often  in Buck Pond in Greece when I was a teenager. They fight really good.  We mostly caught them on tip ups fishing for pike.

I have always released dogfish as I never knew anyone that ate them. Decided to fillet this one after reading that you can eat them. Lots of blood line to remove and meat looked somewhat like monkfish. I tried a small piece and it tasted fine and I'm a fish snob as I have a freezer full of walleye and perch. Not flaky, rather dense, but flavor seemed fine. Seems as though it could be used in a chowder or recipe where you want a firm fish. Perhaps could use it as poor mans lobster or rolled in bacon like a scallop. I'll have to experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

11 minutes ago, Kevin J Legg said:

I have always released dogfish as I never knew anyone that ate them. Decided to fillet this one after reading that you can eat them. Lots of blood line to remove, l'll let you know how it tastes.

your a brave man.  :rofl:

Thats cool that bowfin are actually good eating Kevin. Monk fish is one of my favorites. Let us kno how the experimentation works out. Are they better eating thru the ice? Dog fish get a bad rep but they sure are fun to catch.

Thats cool that bowfin are actually good eating Kevin. Monk fish is one of my favorites. Let us kno how the experimentation works out. Are they better eating thru the ice? Dog fish get a bad rep but they sure are fun to catch.

My search found they are not very good from warm water and their skin acts as a kidney so it's important to clean them immediately or they can have an ammonia taste. Since this is my first try I'll let you know my results.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Perhaps if you ate them the day they were caught they would be better. By day two the dogfish turned mushy. I made some poor mans lobster out of pike and out of the dogfish. Although it wasn't terrible the pike was better. Likely will release them as always from now on.

Perhaps if you ate them the day they were caught they would be better. By day two the dogfish turned mushy. I made some poor mans lobster out of pike and out of the dogfish. Although it wasn't terrible the pike was better. Texture after cooking was a bit like chewing a paper towel. Likely will release them as always from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app