Starcraft Fishmaster 196

coldtrailer

I have a Starcraft Fishmaster 196 am looking at downriggers for it.  I like Scotty's and am thinking about the 1101 with a 30 inch boom but I am wondering if the boom will be long enough?  The downrigger will be located about 24" from my transom.

For my kicker would a long (Honda 8HP) be deep enough?  Will rarely be in reverse as this will be just used for trolling.  Thanks.

Mine are mounted about 6 inches from the rear of the tracks.  Definitely use the tracks for everything, they are already reinforced underneath, and make removing and adding equipment easy.  My cannon riggers came with the swivel bases attached and I mounted them on 4" pedestal bases like these.

http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/325078/Aluminum_Fixed_Base_Downrigger_Pedestal

Edited by Fishmaster 196

• 4 weeks later...

i had a 2012 superfisherman that had tracks on it from the factory. before i used them, i made sure they were solid. i'm glad i checked... they were only screwed to the gunwales. not bolted, and no backer plates or washers. if yours came with tracks from the factory, check em first!

I mounted an old set of Cannons (and now I have a newer set) to a 6” piece of track using bolts and mounted it as far forward so I can still reach the back end with the arms and also be comfortable working the downrigger. This is on a sea nymph 19.5, which is a similar design. I used Traxstech track and a 6” swivel base. The boat is also used for tubing so taking the riggers off is more convenient with track. The riggers are almost in line with the rear cross member of the transom area. IMG_7777.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looks good.  I went a different (cheaper) way.  I bought Scotty 1101 downriggers that have a swivel base included and mounted the base behind my back track...really close to where your rigger is in your picture.  All I have to do is take out four mounting bolts and remove the downrigger when not needed. The fishmaster already has a backing board under the gunnel but I added a stainless steel plate under the board and it seems really solid.  No problem to reach it from the back of the boat and the swivel is approximately 4 inches high already but when removed a plastic base is all that is left and is about 5/8 inches thick and isn't in the way.  Saved buying the piece of track and also the base pictured below.  Approximately a $100.00 a rigger.