Best electric down rigger?

I've been using a pair of Cannon 10STX electrics since 2012. They are rated for max 12 lb weights, so if you want to use a heavier weight I would caution you on this aspect of their ability. They are fast up and down, have auto up & stop when they break the water line. They bounced more than I liked when they stopped at he water line, so I use a short 6 inch snubber from Amish Outfitter's.

I would recommend these and buy them again. 

I have no experience with any other electrics, just the Penn 620 and 625 manuals that seem to last forever that I have on my small tiller powered 15 footer.

Good Luck and Boat Safe,

Egoody

I had Cannon Mag10a riggers and ‘upgraded’ to a used set of Mag 10 with auto stop this summer. I’d still like something faster though and my next set will be Big Jon, possibly the Brute ES. The Brutes can haul up to 25 pounds (I think) and are super fast. The main reason is that I prefer the flexible arms of an aluminum downrigger for bottom bouncing lake trout. I started life with a set of Big Jon Manuals and they were very tolerant of touching bottom. Some other guys would say Traxstech or Cisco are the best, but they are out of my league cost-wise. I prefer finding riggers at garage sales. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

kilr:

I have owned Bigjon Brutes, & Cannons, I have been running four Traxtech riggers for the last few years, & without a doubt, these are the best riggers I have used.  They have a soft start & stop, so there are  no weights being catapulted when the rigger stops. I use 16lb torpedo weights, & they are good to approximately 120' down, when I have to go deeper, I use 20lb weights with no problem.

Good Luck!

John

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Mike M said:

Love my Scotty 2116's !  Just set the stop beads so ball stops 2 feet below surface. Switched from Cannons in 2011. Zero proplems with Scottys.

Mike;

Do you have to bring in the last two feet after the rigger stops 2' below the surface to hook up your line?

John

If you’re looking for reliable then Scotty’s are it. Nothing fancy no electronics, no reversing motor just a clutch manual operated with as simple design as there is. I have them and they don’t break down. But I do wish the had a shaft that flexed to take some wearing off the gunnels

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1