Hardwater report !!

longspurs

While you guys were pike fishing, we hit Honeoye on Sunday, just North of Burns Point. No pictures, but we filled pails with jumbo bluegill and 9.01 inch crappie. More of the former than the later. Mainly bluegill too, not sunfish or punkinseed, which was a surprise as the 'oye has seen a change in its panfish make-up over the past few years. For example, the past three trips jigging deep water have produced a grand total of one keeper perch. Viva la difference from three years ago.

Let's keep this updated as the ice heads south. Maybe we'll get less rain than predicted and it won't get as warm as they say and pigs will fly.

X2 I have been seeing the same results.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The south end was totally dead for us yesterday despite drilling over 30 holes looking for decent fish. Four keeper perch that we gave away and a whole bunch of dinks and a small gill. :lol:

Went out to Otsego lake Saturday, with my Jet sled and gear, and the made the 1 mile trek from the Public Landing to the Sunken Island at about 4:45 a.m.  Good thing for me that the recent warm weather had melted all of the snow, and left an icy surface.  I got all set up off the east side of the sunken island  before first light, but then realized I needed to head north a little further, to get out of the rocks, and find the weeds in 12-13'.  I finally got all set up on the right area just as the sun was coming over the horizon.  The perch bite was pretty hot, and I missed a few, but ended up with 40 fish from 11"-14".  They were really attacking large minnows on the tip-ups and bobber rods and Hali's with waxworms on the jigging rod!!  Well worth the long hike Saturday.  Oh yeah, the ice was about 15 inches thick where I was.

Sunken Island perch 2-17-18.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

Nice perch. Never fished that lake.  

Just got off Honeoye. The fish that were there the past few days disappeared.  The only logical explanation is they were the victims of an alien invasion and are now headed out of our galaxy.  Just when I thought I had this lake figured out.

Nice job John k !!!! I didn't do that good but took home 25 , 9 to 12inchers. Was at Long pond , the Stanley said 10 inches . Lots of water on top. Ice is rock hard with the sun not out. Be careful the next couple daysIMG_20180219_115740.jpgIMG_20180219_125926.jpgIMG_20180219_140820.jpgIMG_20180219_143833.jpg

Had a slow day today on Long pond . Ice was good for the most part untill the sun came out its started to turn bad. 10in yesterday , today 8in.. .top 4in honeycomb by 1pm. Tomorrow don't look good .
I cooked some of them perch up from yesterday. Made some perch patties haven't had them in a long time . Man they taste so good.IMG_20180220_180009.jpgIMG_20180220_192142.jpg

Was out on braddocks today... Had about 6 inches of ice in most spots but random spots of 4... Lots of spider webs in the ice... Was about 75 yards from open water. Perch bite was decent and missed our chances on pike... Anywhere within 20 yards of the docks has about an inch and a half of ice so stay away! After today its probably shot. Heres a pike from last weekend (not braddocks) First one through the ice ever!

PIKE.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, longspurs said:

Had a slow day today on Long pond . Ice was good for the most part untill the sun came out its started to turn bad. 10in yesterday , today 8in.. .top 4in honeycomb by 1pm. Tomorrow don't look good .
I cooked some of them perch up from yesterday. Made some perch patties haven't had them in a long time . Man they taste so good.IMG_20180220_180009.jpgIMG_20180220_192142.jpg

they look delicious!

10 hours ago, longspurs said:

That is one of my favorite ways to cook perch!

Fine cut / chop / or grind meat.
Put meat in a bowl
Mix 2 eggs
Put in cornmeal and season bread crumbs. Mix. Add bread crumbs as needed.
Make in to a ball and make a pattie not to thick tho.

375 in a little bit of oil.
Couple min per side

Add salt and pepper and other spices to your liking.

• Like 1

Thats crazy, I did the drive around too. Did not want to be the only one out on Conesus and checked Silver. The ice at Silver looked like it was going fast so I did not stay that long. Lots of small perch  in Silver, but they seem to have grown up since last winter. They are averaging 8 1/2", last year 7" tops. Next year might be good.

This morning there was a single hut out on silver and I thought to myself....sure hope nothing happens because he was way out too. Not a great idea being out by yourself period let alone when the ice is this sketchy.

I'm pretty sure I know who that guy was on Silver :lol:. I called him as he was going on the ice and again after he left to make sure he got off okay. I guess a guy on an ATV gave him a ride back, so the ice was thick enough to hold a wheeler, but it sounded like it had lost at least four inches. Which is about what I'd lose when the cold water hit me mid-body as I fell through. Since I can't afford that, I'm done.

:lol: Thanks for the info Keith....that is a relief anyway. What I was concerned about was that even though the ice out from shore maay have been doable the near shore ice could have melted and then he'd be confronted with open water near shore (been there done that in the distant past on Cayuga....very unpleasanrt and unsafe) and risk of hypothermia is there. 

• Like 1

No, I crossed the lake w/o  a problem in the morn,spudding all the way.  Met up with a couple friends that showed up later on the west side and hitched a car ride back to my car at Standpipe.  Worth it. Scored a nice parking spot on west side.:)

friends are on Oneida now. Over a foot of good ice. They walked out from Sylvan beach. Nothing but pins so far

2 hours ago, Pequod1 said:

No, I crossed the lake w/o  a problem in the morn,spudding all the way.  Met up with a couple friends that showed up later on the west side and hitched a car ride back to my car at Standpipe.  Worth it. Scored a nice parking spot on west side.:)

friends are on Oneida now. Over a foot of good ice. They walked out from Sylvan beach. Nothing but pins so far

I'm surprised you didn't go to Erie!