Hardwater report !!

longspurs

Longspurs - i have fished Honeoye through the ice since the late 1960's and it has always been an "on and off" bite there and although somewhat better fishing in the distant past it remains a tough place to consistently hit the bite and especially so with the Eyes and Crappies.

• Like 1

It's been so on-and-off as to be silly. I took off last Monday from work and fished eight hours in the sideways snow because the bite was so good. Yesterday afternoon, post-derby, the smallest jig I could get down still spooked the fish and the ten-mile-an-hour wind was enough to keep me from seeing the bite. The school that was there - and it was diminished greatly from family members going home in a bucket - must have got picked over pretty good. There will be more showing up at some point, but the ones that are there now are REALLY skittish. I did catch a bonus Northern ~10 lbs that came through high and hit when I reeled up to it.

Congratulations on placing well in the tournament! See you out there. 

Congrats... you guys earned it in this wind etc. Ice fishing isn't for the feint of heart right Dave?:lol: Keith seems that the fish are skittish everyplace I've fished lately....a lot of lip hooks even with the gills and have to constantly pester them to bite. Historically though this has characterized things in mid Feb before the late Feb/March heavy bite onset prior to ice-out.

Edited by Sk8man

Did the team tournament at South end of honeoye with bondouley ! We managed to take second place panfish. It was a long day, with a tough bite. 3 crappies and 2 perch and a Gill for 3.67 lbs. IMG_20190223_140518.thumb.jpeg.6211c4f4205f8f417900cfb78f7e522a.jpegIMG_20190223_140600.thumb.jpeg.36aee393d06e502e7163a8e5b37cda8a.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It was the great game plan you put together for this that allowed us to do what we did. It doesnt matter what kind of tournament your fishing its all about having the right game plan and executing it! Great job bro it was a long but fun day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I got up sat and planned on working on the cottage but father in law said didn't need help..couldn't sit home so drove hr and 40 mins to Lewis point on onieda. Hiked 35 mins dragging sled.

Set up at 1145. Finished at 330 

9 eyes over 15 largest 22 and 2 big perch outta a single hole. What a great day

Edited by bandrus1
  • Like 1

That a way to just do it , other than sitting around. Far, last second trips like this are the best when everything goes as planned. Nice report, great job!! [emoji106]
Going later in the week . Last time I went to apps , next time I go I'm going to Lewis pt haven't been there since first ice.

Just drove by the ponds wow shot . 1st pic is long pond mid pond looking south. 2nd and 3rd is cranberry pond. Braddock's Bay was a whiteout but lots of open water holes out front of the loop parking lot and out by the docks , most of the main Bay is open water . The ice gets weird when it starts to go not sure why . If it was current the spots that would have current or still froze...... Must be all that s*** they pumped in thereIMG_20190225_125352.jpegIMG_20190225_125603.jpegIMG_20190225_125843.jpeg

Well with the weather we have had and other places not as bad as the ponds , I wonder what's so different to have so many small and big holes all over scattered all over ? It's not currents or run off cuz them spots are not as bad as they should be . only thing I know different is the Town pump a bunch of treated sewage in their two years ago due to high water it might have changed somethings some how??? I don't know but like I said kinda weird down there

Oh, OK, that “stuff.”   That was two years ago.  When I was in college in Binghamton, the Johnson City WWTP used to regularly discharge untreated sewage to the Susquehanna.  We would get warnings to eat no fish from the Endicott side downstream as far as Owego ( ~20 miles).  Dr. Bruce McDuffy was the professor who discovered all the mercury in tunafish, he came in and did a lecture on environmental problems of state and local governments for a course I was taking, and I asked him about those discharges and how could it be safe to eat the fish in such a short time (no more than 2 days time of travel by river to Owego.) He talked about assimilative capacity, which is the ability of a water body to heal itself after an “insult” like the discharge.  Sewage is assimilated pretty quickly, as the natural bacteria “ eat it right up”, what is happening in a controlled environment in a WWTP.   Those discharges from 2 years ago are long gone, likely also all the material that came down Northrup Creek for all those years as well, except for the phosphorus adsorbed to all the sediment.   Where Sewage discharges are deadly to a water body is when the amount of material and rate of discharge exceed the ability of the receiving body to dissolve oxygen, which then becomes depleted, and then all the oxygen breathers die.  But that is rapid, like a few years back when the delivery tanker hooked up to the wrong spigot in Warsaw and dumped molasses into Oatka creek, killing all the fish from there downstream to Leroy over the next day or so.   Sugar has a very high Biochemical Oxygen Demand, just like sewage.

I am surprised that there is any ice left on those ponds after the temperatures from Saturday around noon until Sunday PM, and the winds since then, melting, evaporation and sublimation got most of the snow pack, and after seeing what the winds did to the Niagara River ice, I’m surprised so many things around here stayed at least a little locked up.

I very surprised. You got open Water like a minefield and you're telling me it's from the warm weather we had. when there is a foot of ice on every other body of water in new york locally and thicker up north. If it was the weather more places would be not looking good this is the only area that you cannot fish? I know a lot about ice I fish every day this is not normal

I believe it is from the currents. Thaws causing run off to pour into the ponds, wind pushing water back into the ponds from the lake and water pushing back and fourth from Long to Cranberry. About 10-12 years ago the same thing happened to both ponds. Cranberry opened up in the same spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Either way, it sounds like the ponds are a bust right now unless you're prepared to swim. Which I always am :).

But I'm still not chancing it. There are lots of other places that should have held through this minor thaw and major wind. Although I heard that there's a foot of snow on the South shore at Oneida - you were planning a trip out of Lewis this week LS, right? I think snowmobiles are going to rule Oneida for the near future.

Lucky, you went to Binghamton? Me, too! I SCUBA dove with John Titus for honor's research. In fact, John is still there...my daughter and I visited looking at schools this fall...but he's transitioned away from studying the effect of acid rain on underwater plants to studying the effect of deer populations on forest regeneration. Quite a leap. Anyway, the place looks way different that it did thirty years ago.

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Lucky, you went to Binghamton? Me, too! I SCUBA dove with John Titus for honor's research. In fact, John is still there...my daughter and I visited looking at schools this fall...but he's transitioned away from studying the effect of acid rain on underwater plants to studying the effect of deer populations on forest regeneration. Quite a leap. Anyway, the place looks way different that it did thirty years ago.

I have not seen SUNY Bingo in 40 years!  Study of deer effects on reforestation should be easy right out back in what used to be the nature preserve.   I’ve been planning to go down and visit a classmate who just moved back to Binghamton after 40 years on the west coast, but the roller coaster weather has kept me off the roads.

Gambler points out the runoff, please remember that there are very few waterbodies around with a population concentrations upstream like the Greece ponds, and Monroe County and towns are the road salt capital of the world.  Another possible factor is that the ponds iced over early, and then got that insulating blanket of snow, while some of the later freezers got good exposure to the deep freezes..  But two year old sewage has been reduced to CO2 and H20 a long time ago.  I would suggest that this would be a good question to pose to our friends out at SUNY Brockport, the Env Sci bunch is always looking for good questions for graduate students to answer.

Weird year and ice. Was wondering the same thing.

Ice came late. But got thick quick.

After a few snow, drift, melt and freezes the ice has 4” raised areas. The last few rains puddled up and melted down certain areas.

last weekend my finder was reading 36.7*F water temp.

We were on 8” of ice w areas of
Never spudded so much.

Glad we got thick ice otherwise it would have been a short season on the ponds.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app