Hardwater report !!

longspurs

O my god what a day at the conesus zoo, just no dam RESPECT anymore. If you were out there u heard me loud and clear this morning.
I got a wheeler ride out to the spot I wanted to fish . Nobody around and the whole lake is open (640am) . I put my orange bucket down and drill a hole every 20 yards tip-ups in a line. Well at hole 4... I see 2 guys by my bucket" looking" around . So I walk back so they kinda get the point" I'm right there". so the guy decided to put his tip-ups right by my bucket..... I wouldn't care if he acknowledged me and said hi ... Good morning......" but no no respect . I said" alot of lake here A" ? He set up still after I yelled at him. I just let it go, if u can believe that . Took couple min tho. Lol he did 2 northerns before me and the tipup next to me he got a fish off of.
Well for my fishing day i did 2 nice northerns . Not as big as Thursday but ok fish . Enough to get 1st place pike and yes both fish were released after weigh-in for another day.
I would be nice to see people say hi if they are close to you. Better to work together than against. And when I'm in a tournament I'm against so stay the hell away. Lmfao [emoji38]
We had to drive the four-wheeler back through people's tip-ups and I was saying come here fishy fishy what else can you do. Should have tried the park in Rev method.
Jim , keith any fish? Couple guys got some nice perch out there but no numbers1613248012128.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have often drilled holes for other people, or let them use the ones I'm not using  but asking is certainly a courteous first step. Nobody owns the ice real estate but courtesy  is something that seems to be lacking these days.  In the distant past I've seen people booed and in one case punched out for being discourteous on the ice; now discourteous things just seem to be  considered "acceptable" and nothing is said about it and many folks just don't seem to be learning. The problem is that there are kids and young people out there observing who may continue the practice making it more widespread. Sad....

Congrats longspurs!

Congrats Longspurs! Nice northerns. There is definitely a lack of respect out there. I can't tell you how many times I have gone out of my way to go well around someone fishing to be courteous and then set up and have others drive right next to my shanty through my set. Unbelievable. 

The worst part is getting everything settled and then having all that commotion. Like I’m fairly confident I’ll outfish the other guys, but not if there is a ton of noise scaring the crap out of every fish near my set. 

out of curiosity anyone every use set lines for walleye at Oneida or is that strictly a jigging game? 

We've been talking a bit about inconsiderate folks but today was a new one for us. We were just getting set up this morning when a bunch of cars came out on the ice for a race and they vibrated the water so much it was coming out of the hole and the transducer float was bouncing almost out of it. So these guys leave so we relocated to the far south end and just get settled and a single car comes on the ice and starts racing 40- 50 mph and skidding etc. He then 'accelerates as he was approaching my son's clam and only missed it my literally inches. From my angle I thought the clam was gone with my son in it. I took a pic on my phone before he actually got there but the license plate wasn't clear. Here is the car and the clam beforehand Honeoye south end) I sure hope this guy isn't contributing to the gene pool.

carahole.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Holy crap. That sounds really dangerous. I simply can't believe folks anymore. Tommy showed me a video of that shooting in PA last week, and it's unreal. And disturbing. 

Frankly, if the guys who moved in on us had simply said a few words, there wouldn't have been any issue. We're friendly. Mostly.

We caught some perch on Conesus yesterday, but today was a complete bust. We figured that nobody did much yesterday when we were the only trucks in the lot at 6 am - yesterday at that time, it was full.

Now, onto the snow. 9 inches tomorrow and the same on Thursday is going to add up to a very tough time. It won't help our late season ice, either. Anybody else notice that the ice hasn't really gotten much thicker over the past two weeks, despite the temperatures. Some white stuff mushed up crap air water frozen slush on top makes it seem thicker than it is, but when the melt happens, it happens from the bottom. That stuff that's on top now ain't gonna hold nobody for long.

Heard there was some rally race on Honeoye today. People suck, my tipups and shanty are not your slalom race track. Just like stupid jetskis.

Years ago in college, we were in the UP of Michigan on glare ice, at least 15" ice and had a fiero almost run over our tipups, we ran after him throwing beer cans. They were empty so didn't go far, made us feel better and ended up picking the beer cans up after.

Sent from my moto g power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes the launch and they came out like it was NASCAR or something.....good thing not a lot of kids like usual right there.

Edited by Sk8man

Unreal , got to be a law to reckless driving on the ice. Stupid !!
Back to conesus with the wife . We ran 14 flags at the North end. Not 1. I did see something worth the drive... Two couples come out and fish next to us, guy pulls out a DeWalt drill with a 1-in drill bit and goes to town and then pulls out a 20-lb sludge hammer till he gets through. It made my day I laughed so hard. I ended up going over and drilling two holes for him. I told him I would have came over and drilled before he started but I want him to show his wife he can do it. [emoji23] He laughed .
Stay away snow.
IMG_20210214_115801.jpeg

Unreal , got to be a law to reckless driving on the ice. Stupid !!
Back to conesus with the wife . We ran 14 flags at the North end. Not 1. I did see something worth the drive... Two couples come out and fish next to us, guy pulls out a DeWalt drill with a 1-in drill bit and goes to town and then pulls out a 20-lb sludge hammer till he gets through. It made my day I laughed so hard. I ended up going over and drilling two holes for him. I told him I would have came over and drilled before he started but I want him to show his wife he can do it. [emoji23] He laughed .
Stay away snow.
IMG_20210214_115801.thumb.jpeg.64b4f9f72e8a4e21d676da15ff916600.jpeg

Wow... I want to be happy about the influx of people interested in the sport but they make it so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 minutes ago, Crafty Jay said:

Wow... I want to be happy about the influx of people interested in the sport but they make it so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Give the guy credit - At lease he was being considerate and  drilling his own holes.   

If he had just started fishing existing ones, image the complains about how Googans don't know the rules. 

Must have been the day...we passed three youths who were fishing with open water poles and using a chisel to open their holes, about fifty yards off the end of Vitale point. I wanted to ask them what they had and if they'd share lol.

But yeah, good for you LS to drill that guy a couple holes. I get frustrated this year with all the newbies who have decided that Nature is worth acknowledging, after years of ignoring it. Everywhere we go, everything we do, it seems like there are mobs. The ADK was a zoo last summer. The summit stewards were beside themselves trying to educate new hikers on the fragility of the ecosystem. I feel like it's this way all over. IMHO, the newbies haven't had enough experience yet with Mother Nature for her to have earned their respect. And so I try to be patient. But the googans don't make it easy.

• Like 1

So I’m basically a complete newbie when it comes to hard water. What effect will all this snow that’s coming have on the ice? I know snow insulates and can inhibit ice formation, but can it potentially cause the ice to degrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Depending on the thickness of the ice - snow (especially wet snow and slush on top) has substantial weight and for thinner ice it can be a real factor in integrity. Snow on the ice makes transporting shelters more difficult as well as walking if it is deep or wet. One of the worst factors is that it can disguise unsafe ice areas from detection (e.g. where gas pockets may be or where birds have recently opened up areas and they have refrozen)....can be more prevalent during first and last ice.

• Like 3