Hardwater report !!

longspurs

Got out to Honeoye yesterday!!! Slow am then it picked up a little mid day. Took home 16 big gills and 3 crappies. Out of all the fish I cleaned I saw a big yellow thing in the meat it stuck out big time while washing meat. I cut it open and it was alive. Worm ??? I seen the black dot ones on the meat no big deal .... But this big as$ worm ??? Kinda big for my liking. I seen similar but not this big. Only 1 I saw in all the fillets.IMG_20180201_164445.jpgIMG_20180201_165828.jpgIMG_20180201_170426.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A friend had a pond stocked with Rainbows up in the Tug Hill, they were loaded with worms like that in the summer.  I spoke with a DEC biologist, he said they were natural, more common in stressed fish (thermal stress in the pond during the summer), but I didn't eat the fish, the worms grossed me out.  He solved the problem by stocking the pond with largemouths. 

• Like 1

Yup. I get them in the Honeoye Perch all the time. I pop 'em out like a zit with the tip of my fillet knife and fry them up. It's not ideal but I like Honeoye and I like Perch. I don't fish the gills but even so, yours is the first story I've heard of those worms showing up in the gills. Or was it in the Crappie? I'd guess the gills because the Crappie are often higher in the water column and the gills tend to hang toward the bottom, which is where I think the fish are getting their food containing this parasite.

• Like 1

Yes it was in a gill.

Fished Honeoye sat and Sun. Sat was tournament day did good got a 3 lb walleye that took 2nd place. Got some nice gills and crappies as well but could beat them crappie bags that came in.
Sunday took the wife and it was slow... Best part of the day first drop in with the wife's rod got a keeper walleye. Lol she should have took the rod when I said take this ....a fish is coming in. Just a couple gills

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, longspurs said:

Now duck season is closed it's time to pound some fish !! Took a drive down to Honeoye to give it a try. Went out the boat launch at the South end . Shore ice was fine just don't go by the creek mouth. Ice was 12in where I was. IMG_20180116_132233.jpgIMG_20180116_184648.jpgIMG_20180116_185625.jpgIMG_20180116_190036.jpg

Im setting here eating Gordon's !!!!   you shouldn't post this stuff unless you have enough for everybody!!   looks great man? :) 

22 minutes ago, longspurs said:

At Keuka now just did 1st Laker not marking to much tho. IMG_20180206_074150.jpg

Do you stay set up, or do you set up everyday? Just curious cause bondouley mentioned by your families property. About how long does it take to set up? Not drilling holes I realize that takes time also, I’ve done that, my uncle has a pop up insulated 2 man with seats, we were supposed to get up to ice fish LakeO, but now he got a invitation to go to Maine ice fishing on this lake that’s only open till the end of this month. Due to the spawning. Thanks PAP.

Yes it is !! I put lots of time on the hardwater. Pretty much know alot of the lakes I fish really well. I have had my ass handed to me along the way. Today is not one of them days. Did 15 Lakers lost 4. Didn't mark many fish ,all fish I saw just about hit. Took some action picksIMG_20180206_104327.jpgIMG_20180206_080258.jpgIMG_20180206_092458.jpgIMG_20180206_080513.jpgIMG_20180206_112816.jpgIMG_20180206_114528.jpg

I am just waiting to see what happens.  The bass population last year was great.  The perch were a little harder to come buy but we started fishing for them well after the spawn. Gills and big sunfish were all over the place as well as rock bass.  And do I have to mention the ever present pickerel.  

Just how the laker/ alewife population effects the other species is yet to be determined 

Brian and I were just talking about this. Any time you have a fantastic bite like we did on lakers two years in a row with triple-digit days, you know something's out-of-whack with the ecosystem. Healthy populations of fish aren't that easy to catch. Look at the walleye on Conesus. This lake simply had too many fish for its carrying capacity and we're seeing exaggerated effects because of the alewife fragility.