Keuka Lake

brucehookedup

From what has been posted on Iceshanty.com, there is no safe ice on the Branchport arm, they are getting out to ~30' of water on the Penn Yann arm, and there are no reports from the south end of the lake.  All this is changeable, especially with another warm spell coming.   As they say on ICEHSANTY, spud, spud, spud!

You don't have to be on the Branchport arm to catch lakers they are in 20 plus ft of water all over the place We caught 2 yesterday while after perch and one of the guys I spoke with in the parking lot had 5 that he caught in about 40 ft. They are very long and thin by the way and are feeding on small perch. One I had yesterday should have weighed about 7 -7 1/2 lbs from the length and I don't think he made 5 lbs. They are fun on 2-3 lb test line though :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

50 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Sounds like it would not hurt the lake to keep a few of them if they are that skinny. 

Are the more normal baitfish in trouble in Kueka?

Alewive numbers are very low in Keuka.  The lakers have been this way for a while now.  A couple winters ago, we crushed the lakers all winter and never caught any big ones.  Lots of small skinny lakers.  The only big one we saw was caught by an amish guy that was 14lbs on a 20lb fishes frame. 

Edited by GAMBLER

There's a push now to introduce cisco into Keuka; the idea being to kick the alewives while they're down. Alewives are a very fragile population, with boom and bust cycles, and the thought is that we can do better. It would have been great to have the smelt populations rebound, but that's not happening.

• Like 1