Scary Boat Accident Last August

It's a good reminder for all of us to keep our heads on a swivel and be on the lookout for "that guy". It also makes me think twice about wearing my life jacket, or having it real close at all times, especially in our cold lakes.

I guess the first thing that has to be asked is what is a boat that big doing going that fast that close to shore. I just don't get why some people with big boat feel the need to drive like that. I hope that they all win there lawsuits.

This past summer I came across the same situation. I was coming back into the small boat harbor south gap. This old guy was driving probably 20 mph inside the breakwall. He had almost hit 3 other boats before he turned right at us. I laid on the horn and lucky he turned at the last second. The side of his bow caught the side of my boat. I came out ok. I guess no harm no foul in this case. I'm normally pretty aware of my surroundings but I can tell you that I'm definitely more aware now even when I'm putting lines in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As a kayaker on the finger lakes, my head is on a constant swivel watching out for things like this.. even on Canadice & Hemlock :lol:

Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

Wow - talk about being clueless, if the lawsuit does go to a civil jury, that statement to the media won't help his case...

I keep 2 of those small air horns on boat all the time. There high pitched and loud!! Keep two in case one runs out of gas. They get used numerous times each season. When a boat starts getting to close or seems like its on a collision course with us we BLAST EM with one or both of these horns. We've had alot of close calls over the years. Theres some real idiots out there!!!  Defensive boating everyone and BE SAFE !!!