Newb Questions (Bear with me)

aiacovo

Hey guys, I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy post. My uncle died two years ago, i bought his old 89 Imperial walk around that he used for salmon on Ontario. I named the boat after him and had a great time with my uncle (his brother) trolling for salmon on his new boat. They are obviously all set up for trolling. The boat came with two Cannon downriggers. I have a garmin fish finder with clearvu, i know its not the best but itll have to do for now. I bought 4 rods to use with the down riggers, still have to buy two more for Dipsys. We fished in July with Flashers and Cut Bait Rigs, I need to outfit myself with cut bait rigs, flashers, spoons etc. Looking for recommendations on gear, working on getting a fish hawk x4 as well. Maybe next year ill buy a new fish finder but wont be in the budget for this year as i have to buy a bunch of lures, gear etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated, still need to figure out the whole when to use which gear for certain times of the year (early season, late season, hot/cold etc.) I have a lot to learn i know, just trying to get the gear necessary to start. Excited to enjoy what he enjoyed for so many years. Thank you in advance guys. 

Edited by aiacovo

I would suggest to wire rods with twili tips for dipseys. Add a copper rod with 300’ if you budet permits. Flasher flys think green. Shop ebay for equip also. You can get some great deals on used equip

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

28 minutes ago, TileMan Dan said:

I would suggest to wire rods with twili tips for dipseys. Add a copper rod with 300’ if you budet permits. Flasher flys think green. Shop ebay for equip also. You can get some great deals on used equip

x2 on the twili tip rods and the copper set up.  As far as meat rigs and flies Chris from Minion is the man.  He has great products and even better customer service.  Hes on here if you look up Minion or he can be found on facebook under Minion flies.  He also has some flashers for sale.  

`Start with Dan Keating 's books ; ie " Keating on Kings " as a basic then move on with other editions !

All the information you need can be found on this site or " Spoonpullers " !

ps. great pun on the bear / bare !

pps. My family doctor was out on smaller Ontario lake seeing an open boat apparently adrift without anyone on board : Had to check it out found 2 bares ; told them " once a king always  king but once a knight is enough ! "

I wish I could

go to the show. I’m out snowmobiling tjis

weekend. Wish I would’ve known. Going to the sportsman show in Harrisburg Next

month. Wonder if they’ll have much. I’ve been there a few times but never in search for Fishing 

• Like 1

On January 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM, aiacovo said:

I wish I could

go to the show. I’m out snowmobiling tjis

weekend. Wish I would’ve known. Going to the sportsman show in Harrisburg Next

month. Wonder if they’ll have much. I’ve been there a few times but never in search for Fishing 

The Harrisburg show is a great show, we go every year but not much toward fishing big water. Can't give you any advice that wasn't already given by other guys here except good buys on here in the classified section also. 

Edited by Firechief48

forget about snowmobiling,go to the show and learn,then when you get back,put the sleds out at the curb with a for sale sign.when you sell them,take the money and buy all the fishing equipment you need!!!!!!

Honestly, all you need to do is read all the posts and pay attention to what these peeps have to say when they report.

This right here. (And what the rest have said other than sell the snowmobile need a winter hobby too lol) the guys on this site are very helpful and willing to share what's working.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk