adding a batterie

dry net

Depends on how you plan on wiring them. If isolated from each other then yes you can keep the 3 year old one that's probably near the end of its duty cycle. If you tie them together they will seek each others amp/current level. As in the good one will discharge into the older one constantly until there the same. So if one was 100% and the other 50% you would end up with two batteries at about 75%. I would buy a new one if there going to be wired together.

• Like 1

I have two batteries on my boat. They are isolated. One battery is just for the main outboard and the other is for everything else. I've had no problems in twenty-six years. 

Like Bozeman Bob said, if isolated it doesn't matter. 

I have a (2) battery system on my Islander. One is a dedicated starting battery, while the second one handles all the electronics and other miscellaneous items on the boat. I have them isolated through a heavy-duty solenoid which energizes when the main engine is running, thus charging both batteries. When I shut the main engine down, the solenoid opens, isolating both batteries and ensuring the main battery will always have enough juice to start the main engine. With the main engine off, all accessories and electronics are pulling solely off the secondary battery. I have a Group-27 for the secondary battery and it'll go a good portion of the day running the chartplotter, VHF radio, depth finder and downriggers before it shows signs it needs to be charged up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app