Spring browns

Well I'm getting the itch. Trapping season will be ending soon and boat/gear prep will start. What's some of the essentials needed for spring browns color/ styles of lures. Depths I should be looking at and any other helpful tips or tricks anyone is willing to share. I've season gets here if also love to try to get hands on teaching if anyone is willing to sneak out for a day (my boat or yours).

I read stickbaits and smaller spoons here(I think) but was hoping for some more info.

Also looking at the west end of the lake this year as my parents moved to SC so I won't be driving to Canandaigua to pick my dad up..bummed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

West end it's bayrats in short shallow model. Target water temp changes and color changes. Long leads off planers like 120-150ft back. Spoons like Michigan stinger in Sodus pt buckeye and chartreuse and greens. Can't beat gold perch either. Cold water slow like 1.7-2.2 up to 3.4 in tad warmer stuff. Leader down with 8-15lb fluorocarbon with 15-20ln mainline. Sticks And spoons are the ticket. Check out Yankee trollers posts for more info on bayrats. Water depths as tight to shore as possible out to 20-25ft but find temp n color n run your gear find the bite and key on it.

• Like 3

Buy multiples of each color especially after you find your bite n what color works for you. Look up cone of disturbance as well find out how far off side of your boat the fish like it. Every boat and every day is different
Will do. I assume that is how far out beside the boat you need to get before you reach "untouched" water?

Hoping to have a probe for spring. If I do what temps am I looking for?

Thanks for info

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Any temp break where you see a quick rise in temp until 54 degrees then they will be wherever 54 degrees meets bottom which usually isn't until May. 70-90 ft usually in summer...cod is essentially where the spooked fish integrate with the unspooked. Essentially twice the volume of fish than what's directly under you because they scatter from boat noise. Also watch bill saiff outdoors YouTube. He says alot of good info.

• Like 2

Make sure you dont just rely on bayrats. They are great sticks however some days different actions of different brand sticks seem to produce better. I will say after the past few springs my top producers have been a mix of bayrats, rapalas (f7, f9, f11 aswell as the scatter rap series in the same sizes) and various thunderstick jrs have worked well. Also it has been said already but Michigan stinger spoons in scorpion and the regular size are great. My 2 favorite colors are bloody nose and mixed veggies

Edited by suttontroller94
  • Like 1

trolling the few times i went out for browns i found honeybees to especially hot the black/purple or trout patterns for browns trolling at 2.4 at the probe. on shore which i like to do is 1/2 ounce krocodiles in blue mackeral or rainbow uv,s . good luck this spring ill be out trolling ist 2 weeks in may with 2 freinds. anyone  else out there that does any shore casting on the big o.

• Like 1