Leadcore 832 12# to 15# seaguar leader - knot question

Good Day, 

Been searching and have multiple you tube videos. I can not get this connection to hold. Threading the flouro leader into the LC sheath is not going to happen due to similar size, no willis knot option, and old guy eyes! What would be my second choice of knots/connections? 

Looking to run about 35 feet of leader.

1- Albright seems to slip....

2- If I strip back to just sheath, to try to utilize a palomar knot to a swivel, the sharp edge of the lead can be felt just below the knot, it will wear I am sure

3- If I strip back and try Uni-Uni - same thing with the lead trying to break through the sheath

4- I can either tie direct or use a swivel, no preference 

Thanks, Dave

Edited by superhawk18

Legacy, understand, unable to thread leader into LC, as mentioned above due to similar line size. Hoping for a second best choice at this point. Just tried a modified cinch knot to a SPRO swivel for the lead core side. Seems to hold up from what I can tell with a simple hard pull. Still hoping for additional guidance

Edited by superhawk18
  • Like 1

I use uni knot to small spro swivel then uni knot the leader to the spro,  I have not had that connection fail yet.  I realize that the lead will poke out a little on the leadcore but that has not been an issue.

Edited by Fishmaster 196
  • Like 1

Does it matter how close I get the knot to the point were the lead stops? I suppose the closer the better, but I still feel like the lead is going to break through the nylon sheathing.

Thanks All for the feedback, Dave 

30 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Remove the lead. It does nothing to help you and might actually hinder you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes by all means remove the lead which is one hell of a pain in the ass. It’s not like the older style where you can push the sheathing up with no problem, this stuff is a real peach to deal with, personally, I don’t know if I’ll ever use it again. I use the #10 SPRO barrel it’s rated at 35# never had a issue,  the #8 SPRO doesn’t fit  through all the reel guides, the #8 is rated for 50#’s, I use a Palomar knot that’s been working for years.

Remove lead. Tie uni to uni knot. No issues. Have 9 leadcores tied this way last 5 years and have held up to surprise Spring Kings with no problem. Never seen lead come through. Solid knot and no annoying swivel to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I routinely use the #8 Spros Pap but I have slightly (and carefully) opened up the line guide on a number of my reels. It is easier to tie knots with the #8's and they offer a little more insurance with kings:)

50 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I routinely use the #8 Spros Pap but I have slightly (and carefully) opened up the line guide on a number of my reels. It is easier to tie knots with the #8's and they offer a little more insurance with kings:)

Yea, that’s a good idea Les!! I never thought about that!! 

i switch to the micro lead  last year . like you said had same issue. i did the same as above post have said . i too had the  lead poke through the sheathing . after getting the lead back in side the sheathing i used gorilla super glue that stop the lead from poking out .

Vision quest charters has a video I watched. It was a pretty simple knot and holds. I use a modified version of the uni to uni knot and definitely remove lead.  

Legacy, understand, unable to thread leader into LC, as mentioned above due to similar line size. Hoping for a second best choice at this point. Just tried a modified cinch knot to a SPRO swivel for the lead core side. Seems to hold up from what I can tell with a simple hard pull. Still hoping for additional guidance

Use a pin that are used to stuff turkey to open up leadcore sheath to insert your leader. Willis knot is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A lot of anglers especially in Ohio are using in line weights instead of lead core. With side planers the need for extreme long leads from the boat checking your lines is a lot faster and happens more often.. They are producing good catch rates without the time consuming reeling to bring in the lead core rigs. Consider changing your ways. We caught fish before lead core came around so faster setups and quicker catching is available.

A lot of anglers especially in Ohio are using in line weights instead of lead core. With side planers the need for extreme long leads from the boat checking your lines is a lot faster and happens more often.. They are producing good catch rates without the time consuming reeling to bring in the lead core rigs. Consider changing your ways. We caught fish before lead core came around so faster setups and quicker catching is available.

Leadcores are still more reproduceable in presentation. Sounds like the wrong reels are being used here. Daiwa Saltist reels have 35" retrieve per handle crank (size 30) for short cores 2-3-4 color and 47.2" retrieve per handle crank (size 40) for medium cores 5-6-7-8 color... if you have never had the opportunity to get behind one of these fine pieces of machinery, you are missing out!

In line weights also require the annoyance and hassle of dealing with their removal at the boat while fighting the fish. Not saying this can't be perfected with a mature crew, but it adds risk to your catch rate that you cannot discount.

Personally, repeatability is king once you've dialed something in for the day. Cores give you that repeatability and confidence.

I am fishing both leadcores and snap on weights this year. I have had great success with three colors off the down riggers. Must be the side to side action. Snap on weights will be new to the arsenal. Thanks again for the advice on the original post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, FleetTracker said:

Leadcores are still more reproduceable in presentation. Sounds like the wrong reels are being used here. Daiwa Saltist reels have 35" retrieve per handle crank (size 30) for short cores 2-3-4 color and 47.2" retrieve per handle crank (size 40) for medium cores 5-6-7-8 color... if you have never had the opportunity to get behind one of these fine pieces of machinery, you are missing out!

In line weights also require the annoyance and hassle of dealing with their removal at the boat while fighting the fish. Not saying this can't be perfected with a mature crew, but it adds risk to your catch rate that you cannot discount.

Personally, repeatability is king once you've dialed something in for the day. Cores give you that repeatability and confidence.

Jimski is talking about inline weights. A lot of Walleye guys throughout the lake use inline wieght tied 10 ft or so above a crawler harness. It creates a more consistent depth control and requires less line to produce the same depth especially with heavy weights up to 8 ounces. 

With that being said I have fished with my dad and two grandfathers whom have fished both Great Lakes since they have been in there 30’s. The water clarity on both Great Lakes has created a much more efficient and educated generation of anglers. Segmented leadcore programs fished of a variation of planer applications is hands downs the most productive method of catching Walleye in Erie.