Headache from propane

FishingTheFL

Just a little Coleman heater. I just read the buddies have a co2 sensor. Guess I'll be getting one for safety if nothing else but even before I got my shanty and sat in a friends and still got a headache. My glass are polarized. The only time I didn't get a head ache was bucket sitting in the cold.

I can't remember if he was using a buddy heater or the tripod Coleman heater when we were in his shanty.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

some people are bothered more i know my mom has tried to go a few times and complains of it all the time. we run the buddy heaters and havent had a prob. but consistent headaches are no good id try a diff one for the cost. good luck hope you can figure out 

Stay hydrated I get migraines if I don't so always have Gatorade g 2 with me also a couple ibuprofen at the first sign of pain low risk high reward cold dry air sucks moisture like crazy especially as it warms like in your lungs and around your eyes when behind sunglasses

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was wondering about this. I hardly ever use a heater when I fish alone and feel fine, but when I fish with one of my friends in the same hut, he has the heater on full bore and I wind up with a headache.  I'll spend more time outside the tent and see if it makes a difference.

Propane has that nasty scent added to it for detection of fumes. Folks are supposed to test out the tank when put on with soap suds etc. to detect potential leaks but sledom does anyone actually do it. Even a little rust on the threads can create leaks. If you aren't actually detecting a leak in that closed environment it is probably the increased carbon MONOXIDE level which could mean a faulty heater too since you seem to have things ventilated. I just bought one of the new insulated huts and just my body heat in it seemed to steam things up in there without any heat and I've never been a big fan of heaters despite having three different types anyway after seeing one blow up on Honeoye once. Most of the time dressing in numerous layers gives you the option of staying warm and shedding as necessary.....

Edited by Sk8man

I'm right there with you. I used to get horrible headaches when I had my Coleman heater; they disappeared when I switched to a Mr. Heater Buddy. I'm convinced that the Coleman didn't burn very efficiently. Great heater for warmth and for not blowing out in a wind, but the headache issues aren't worth it.

I call it "propane brain". I rented a hut on Quinte for a day over Christmas break. The heater provided gave me a headache and made me want to lie down and sleep. The next day I went out with my Clam and a Mr. Heater Buddy and with a little ventilation and it was absolutely night and day.

I bought a Mr buddy today. Cheap one but said safe for indoor use. Going to give it a try maybe tomorrow depending how much rain we get tonight. Cayuga was melting pretty good on the surface today. Took my boys down to show them the ice and maybe get them to go next weekend when it's cold

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I call it "propane brain". I rented a hut on Quinte for a day over Christmas break. The heater provided gave me a headache and made me want to lie down and sleep. The next day I went out with my Clam and a Mr. Heater Buddy and with a little ventilation and it was absolutely night and day.

Thats scary. That is exactly how people die from CO poisoning. Your lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Some people are more sensitive to Propane than others. I read where it is like 1 out of 50 get headaches. I have a buddy and a big buddy and they don’t bother me. I also have a Nuway propane furnace that does bother me, but I need to install a chimney pipe for it. You can also buy a battery operated CO detector, though I haven’t tried one in a fish shack. Hopefully the Buddy heater will solve your problem. I believe they burn more efficient than other radiant heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United