Tying Mark's Carpet Fly

Pete Collin

Crazy. I remember when I’d go to the Oak, which I’d do a lot, back in the early 90’s. Mark, Jay Peck, Greg Senecal and a few others.
Remember well when Mark “invented” the Carpet Fly. Guy was awesome and nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I used to practically live on the OO in the spring and fall from the late 90s to about 10 years ago.  The increased crowds and diminished runs of fish have kept me away.  In the old days, when the fishing was no good you'd go hang out with Mark and see what kind of outrageous stories he'd have.

Do you remember the commercials they had for him with the skulls next to his cabin? Or when he killed the doe on the bank?
Guy was larger than life.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That ad I show at the beginning of the video is the one you're talking about!  Here is one of my favorite stories of his:

Mark had plans to meet some friends to go down to the river and fish together.  He got impatient waiting for them at his house, so he left them a note letting them know he would be down on the water.  Mark wanted them to know that the day before, the fishing was amazing and he had caught a jillion.  His way of doing that was that his note included a signed confession to mass murder.

Now, here is the thing that could ONLY happen to Mark.  The police had found a dead body in the river, and just so happened to be knocking on doors asking if anybody in the neighborhood had seen anything.  That's when they happened across his note!

The cops waited around, and when Mark's wife came home from work, they were very terse with her, asking if everything was ok at home.  His wife noticed they were acting strangely and asked what they were getting at.  That's when they showed her the signed confession to mass murder - and she burst out laughing!

I once wrote a shaggy dog story that had to do with your only choices of hiring a guide on Oak Orchard were either Jay Peck or Pennsylvanians with peg legs.  The punchline was that the tourist brochures, under fishing guides, said "Pick a Peck or crippled Muppers".