i always used regular mono for my dipseys... but about 2 months ago i broke down and got wire.... i been using it for 2 months and havent landed a fish....everything breaks the leader below the snubber and not at the knot.. it can be 6 inches below the snubber to right in the middle of the leader.i've got the drag pretty loose and i've tryed various pound test for leaders.. ranging from 10 to 20 pound.and its not just salmon breaking the line i fish cayuga lake most often.. ...I figure im doing something wrong, but just cant figure it out... any thoughts??

Stealhead4748,

Here is what I do- I run 30 lb Seagar Florocarbon leaders for spoons and 50 lb. Seagar Florocarbon leaders for flashers and flies. In my opinion, you don't need snubbers. Some guys run them but I find I lose more fish with them. Keep the drag loose enough so the line clicks out. Use 2 small rubberbands half hitched around the wire and then around the reel to keep it from clicking out. Once the fish hits, the rubberbands will break. You adjust the drag to your liking and fight the fish.

or if you don't want broken bits of rubber bands all over your boat, getting into your bilge and clogging the bilge pump etc, you can us a pinch pad rigger release, either clip it to the hook keeper on the rod or maybe attach it somehow to your diver rod holder.

Something like this:

2883dipsey_line_holder.JPG

Tim

i run 40lb p line with a snubber for all my dipsys it works well for me. the reason snubbers are good is there is no stretch in the wire like the mono so when the fish hits the snubber absorbes the shock of the fish hitting try tightening ur realease on the dipsy i hardly ever loose a fish on a dipsy unless he straightens the hook or just simply brakes the leader on the fly i run my leaders about 6ft long check out the sodus point 9-6 report and there is proof that i put them in the boat all three of those fish where on a dipsy. we all have r own opinion so find what works 4 u and stick to it.