Giving up on the river and getting into real fishing

Well we had a pretty good weekend since it was the 1st time fishing the lake in over 15 years , I picked up a 22-5 bayliner cudy, Bought two cannon downrigers ans a hand full of dipseys, Saturday we ended up fishing from 1 till 8, had 3 on and lost all three, fishing out of oswego in 80 fow down 40-60, attomik flies, green , Sunday we fished out of the salmon river, We end up 2 for 9, Seven broke my line after a nice 10 minute fight, fishing in 100 fow down 70 all the action was on flies, nothing on spoons or j plugs, I thought mybe i could get some pointers off you guys, just a few questions, what size dipseys and how far from the spin doctor should i run them,how long of a leader off the dipesy,What seems to be the hot spoons these days, colors, brand, etc, Most of all what is the trick behind keeping your dipseys from getting all tangled up with your rigers and each other, I think i went threw 10,000 yds of string over the weekend.

TAGMAN

ECarter, I believe size 1 dipsey is the most popular but I know a lot of guys use a mag size and the 0 size too for certain situations. Generally you run from a 6 to 8 foot leader from the dipsey to the flasher but it could be more or less. One thing you have to keep in mind is you will need to net the fish and if your lead is long it will be a bit more difficult to do this once you reel the dipsey to the tip of your rod.

As far as the tangles make sure you have your dipseys set to run off the the right and left sides of the boat (if your not sure check them as you let them out to see if they track away from the boat) because that sounds like your problem. The higher the number the further they will run away from the boat. Be careful on your turns to as they will cross the back of the boat if your not careful.

There are so many colors and brands of spoons today to choose from but if you go to the "tackle descriptions" page on this site and the "popular spoons" page on www.attheoak.com site you will get a good idea.

As far as hot spoons this year they were the Dream Weaver SS spoons. I would agree with Gotta Bite on that spoon, along with the 42nd for me as of late :D

running flashers and dodgers or lures with a large amount of drag brings dipseys closer to the track of the boat and not plane out as much as less drag say from a spoon or j plug...the more resistance the less plane effect...you might try higher number settings when useing high resistance tackle, or a larger dipey with the ring. also on turns if you can speed up a little it helps the inside dipsey stay on plane...if it slows down on the inside of your turn too much it will "slip" out of plane and actually move toward the opposite side due to the weight setting....in other words it is very important to maintain a speed that keeps the line tight and the rod bent over real good...slowing down to near stopping will cause a bad mess.. so if ya got a fish that is tough to land you might want to consider pulling the dipsey in.... shorter leads on the ball from riggers will help too.

I had a good weekend on the dipseys. 5 for 7.. #1 dipsy with ring.. 155ft back on #2 setting.. From the dipsy I had Green dot spin doctor/atomic hammer fly 6ft back which took 5 of the hits.. and another spin doctor atomic 42nd combo 8ft back from the dipsy..which took the other two hits.. fly leader lengths 22-23 inches. Im not sure if it was the color or the 2 feet that made the difference.. But it seems it might have... cuz I did change up the color on the 42nd and kept the 8ft leader and no results from it.. Riggers where down anywhere from 44 to 65 ft down back 10 to 50ft.. Kept changin them up cuz they just washed the lures all day long..it worked pretty good for me.. No tangles problems... I made my passenger a believer in the dipsey.. Once you learn to run them the work good.. I have not gone to the copper yet.. Im using fireline.. Good luck

Chris

The Georgia Kay..

Mexico Pt..