Grouse thread

Gill-T

Beautiful day to be out for a little workout. Birds were not where they were “supposed to be”. After tramping around all the thick narley stuff ... nota. Checked s few pine stands....nota. Gun slung over shoulder at end of hunt in open beech hardwoods two flushes with nothing to show for it. Dogs are pooped. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got out in Onondaga county this weekend with my dogs.  Probably 10 grouse flushes with three birds hitting the ground.  Was able to learn my pointer's body language when the bird is in a tree.  My project rescue dog is also rounding out.  She lets my german find them, then she tracks their flight in the air and pounces on them when they land.  Good one-two punch those two.  

Got out in Onondaga county this weekend with my dogs.  Probably 10 grouse flushes with three birds hitting the ground.  Was able to learn my pointer's body language when the bird is in a tree.  My project rescue dog is also rounding out.  She lets my german find them, then she tracks their flight in the air and pounces on them when they land.  Good one-two punch those two.  

Wow awesome! My brothers and I grew up hunting grouse and rabbits without a dog in wayne county. There were a couple of small parcels of state land that held birds. They would always seem to jump up when we couldnt get a shot. Has to be a total different game with a good dog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

sounds like a pretty awesome day. Especially around here and so late in the season. With or without dogs its tough this time of year is tough. We've been slowly picking away a couple flushes at a time. Its fun to watch two dogs work together for sure. I hunted with a pointer and flusher combo for the first time the other day. I think it greatly increased our success because the pointer got out in front, let you know a bird was there, and you could pick a shooting lane and be ready while the flusher moved the bird. Quite a bit of fun. Keep the reports coming

Edited by WoodieBoater

No birds today.  Hunted Bear Creek outside of Franklinville.  Too many predator tracks for my liking.  Fischer tracks, saw a huge red fox.  Fox in heat smells in the woods.  Dogs got their work out.