First year browns

Bay Rat Lures are 100% made in the USA. Quality is top notch, and you can get a wide array of colors. If they don't make a color you want you can order it. They are located right in Erie, PA, and they are fisherman. 

I run their Short Shallow and S3 for Spring Brown Trout. Short Shallow will run to 8' on a troll, and the S3 will dive to 4'.

Edited by Yankee Troller

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

Bay Rat Lures are 100% made in the USA. Quality is top notch, and you can get a wide array of colors. If they don't make a color you want you can order it. They are located right in Erie, PA, and they are fisherman. 

I run their Short Shallow and S3 for Spring Brown Trout. Short Shallow will run to 8' on a troll, and the S3 will dive to 4'.

Agreed!

Don't forget to check out the Bay Rat long shallows also!

Stick baits with split shot are the best used in the spring for brown trout and early season walleye. In the early warm near shore water when you stop or turn the boat they float up off the bottom to avoid snags where you lose a lot of valuable fishing time. Spoons sink and snags happen too often. The bad thing of spring  fishing the shallow water is time lost on snags. This is the time of year when ninety per cent of the fish are in ten per cent of the water. It is important to use your surface water temperature readings to concentrate your fishing area.

Edited by jimski2
  • Like 1

Early spring fishing needs slow moving stick baits. Rapala type lures moving at two MPH or less give the right action. The deep diver plugs are trolled faster and not as productive. If the sun comes up after 8:00 AM and you have a bluebird sky, you may have to fish deeper like fifty foot depths where light weight spoons trolled slower are the most effective then. 

On 1/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Legacy said:

Agreed!

Don't forget to check out the Bay Rat long shallows also!

Bay Rats don't seem to work as well as rapalas, smithwicks etc...in Oswego, Mexico and east. Anyone else here feel the same way?

Bay Rats don't seem to work as well as rapalas, smithwicks etc...in Oswego, Mexico and east. Anyone else here feel the same way?

I agree i try running them all the time nut end uo switching them out. Challengers and rapalas are the stick baits that work best for me. Ezmeralda bay rat long shallow was a good producer for us though last year and even brought a 20 pound king to the boat in late april. Was really only 1 day it was hot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Use your 3.5" Renoskys.  Leave them set up the same as you do for Erie Walleyes with a larger rear hook and only two split rings in lieu of the front hook.  The glow colors and loud rattles make this little bait fish big in stained water.  1/2 of my fish on any given day come on spoons so have a mix.  

• Like 1

The larger hot n tots with a trailing small spoon on a leader behind the middle hook work well on the west coast trout fishing. The plug acts as a lure and diving planer. Something different but it also works on walleyes.