My son's personal best pike- Keuka

We ice fished Keuka today for perch and only came up  with a bunch of dink perch, a laker, a pickerel, but a gorgeous pike which my son caught and landed solo on 6 lb mono and  without a gaff.He caught it on a contraption he hand made which operates like one of the automatic rigs and it almost spooled him twice. I was fishing too far away from him to hear or see it so somehow he managed to land it through the 12 or so inches of ice. It measured 42 inches and weighed just over 16 pounds. After the pics he released it unharmed which was more than can be said of Mark....his hands had numerous cuts and toothmarks:)

markpike42in.jpg

markautojig.jpg

Wow that’s a trophy, and through the ice makes his catch even more spectacular!! Sorry the Perch weren’t more active, but with that critter cruising around being a Perch I’d be high tailing out of there also. Congrats to you and your son!! Oh I did see the battle scars on his hand/wrist.

Billy-  I am amazed as well that he got it up through the foot of ice as it had to come up vertically rather than just sliding it across the edge of the hole if 4 or 5 inches of ice. He said the head barely fit through the 8 inch hole and my auger is a 7 inch so lucky it wasn't one of my holes :lol: He also said that he has been watching a lot of Youtube videos with our Canadian brothers (eg. Lake Simcoe) and it helped greatly as far as technique.

Edited by Sk8man

Unfortunately, the pike has its revenge on Mark as his hand became infected from the multiple cuts and after an ER visit today he is on an antibiotic. Pike have an anticoagulant in their protective mucus as well as numerous bacteria so cuts received can easily become infected and may need to be treated to prevent blood poisoning and other potential maladies so be very careful handling them folks. We now have new first aid kits in each of our huts....

Edited by Sk8man

Congrats on the Fantastic fish! And still there to be caught again!
I love the display of all the fancy, expensive equipment you used[emoji12]
All that while I was just burning fuel on the other branch [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Unfortunately, the pike has its revenge on Mark as his hand became infected from the multiple cuts and after an ER visit today he is on an antibiotic. Pike have an anticoagulant in their protective mucus as well as numerous bacteria so cuts received can easily become infected and may need to be treated to prevent blood poisoning and other potential maladies so be very careful handling them folks. We now have new first aid kits in each of our huts....

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Like I said great fish but I wouldnt risk this for a pike