hard knox

torpedo weighted steel line

Just got my new weighted steel rod all set up used a Okuma glt copper leadcore rod with 45 dxt from fish usa 85 bucks feels really nice and spooled up with 450 feet of 80 lb power pro 200 feet of torpedo weighted steel and a top shot of 40 lb mono fits perfect cant wait for spring winter boredom only cost me money .

Without 19 straind wire 40 to 45 ft is all your going to get out of that set up especially with flasher fly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes my plan was for a mid depth flat line rod and if i wish to go deeper i could use a dipsy in front of bait of choice or at the end of the wire to backing i could clip on a torpedo weight to get greater depth i use the torpedo weight with very good results .When a torpedo is used say 50 feet in front of a spoon then a stern plane attached say 150 feet from the weight and set way back down the shoot it can be deadly .I have caught many big salmon this way !

Sounds great, Hard Knox. I have a Saltist LC 50 waiting for a similar set-up, I will probably add the 19 strand as well. I’m interested to know how you made your connections to the mono and braid. A haywire loop with shrink tube? Thanks for any info. I’ve been using leadcore for years and would like to add stainless and copper to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

You have a couple options you could use power pro hollow ace for backing in 80 lb you can goggle it to see how its done but you could use a smaller diameter braid and get more backing on by using a albright knot and you can do this for mono as well . When you cut tag end of wire wrap with dental floss and super glue to hide sharp edge . I like the albright !