torpedo weighted steel line

Just got my new weighted steel rod all set up used a Okuma glt copper leadcore rod with 45 dxt from fish usa 85 bucks feels really nice and spooled up with 450 feet of 80 lb power pro 200 feet of torpedo weighted steel and a top shot of 40 lb mono fits perfect cant wait for spring winter boredom only cost me money .

Without 19 straind wire 40 to 45 ft is all your going to get out of that set up especially with flasher fly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Yes my plan was for a mid depth flat line rod and if i wish to go deeper i could use a dipsy in front of bait of choice or at the end of the wire to backing i could clip on a torpedo weight to get greater depth i use the torpedo weight with very good results .When a torpedo is used say 50 feet in front of a spoon then a stern plane attached say 150 feet from the weight and set way back down the shoot it can be deadly .I have caught many big salmon this way !

Sounds great, Hard Knox. I have a Saltist LC 50 waiting for a similar set-up, I will probably add the 19 strand as well. I’m interested to know how you made your connections to the mono and braid. A haywire loop with shrink tube? Thanks for any info. I’ve been using leadcore for years and would like to add stainless and copper to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

You have a couple options you could use power pro hollow ace for backing in 80 lb you can goggle it to see how its done but you could use a smaller diameter braid and get more backing on by using a albright knot and you can do this for mono as well . When you cut tag end of wire wrap with dental floss and super glue to hide sharp edge . I like the albright !

• 3 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 9:56 AM, bondouley said:

Ill make it very simple we fish just about every weekend and a day or 2 during the week from April through labor day.  That includes several tournaments and running charters.  Last year for the entire year we ran the torpedo steel line with great results.  I will say that the 19 strain wire doesn't read the same on your real line counters that mono does so there is some extra measuring involved.  What I did was take it to a large open field and measured in 100 ft sections with a tape measure then looked at the line counter on the reel to see where it was at.   Then i just made a cheat sheet till I memorized it.  Copper line is easier in that sense cause you just let it out till its all off the reel then you know exactly whats in the water.  When it comes to everything else the steel line is much more user friendly.  There is no way to kink it and the weight of it makes it much easier to reel in.   During tournaments and derby fishing we would run a 45 lb blood run 450 copper on one planner board and the steel line off the other board and everyone on the boat would rather grab the steel to reel in.   I will also add that there basically is no difference in the amount of strikes that occurred on the copper as to the steel.  There were plenty of days where the 2 rods would take turns with taking shots.   This year we are replacing the 450 copper with a 2nd steel line cause of the ease of use.  That's saying a lot cause up until last season our 450 copper was by far our most productive non rigger line.   Hope this helps good luck and tight lines always!

Hey.  I recently purchased a couple of saltist 50lc’s and would like to set them up with weighted steel and a wire backer.  How are you connecting the 19 strand to your planner boards?  Should I go with a 200 and a 250 or maybe a 150 and a 200?  Thanks 

• 1 month later...
Hey.  I recently purchased a couple of saltist 50lc’s and would like to set them up with weighted steel and a wire backer.  How are you connecting the 19 strand to your planner boards?  Should I go with a 200 and a 250 or maybe a 150 and a 200?  Thanks 

Rubber bands is what I use to attach to inline planner boards do a half hitch on the 19 strand

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United