Sold / Closed DOWN RIGGER CABLE LEVEL ANGLE FINDER

DOES ANYONE HAVE OR KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE OLD TYPE CANNON BALL DEPTH FINDER? ITS A LEVEL THAT MEASURES THE ANGLE OF THE DOWNRIGGER CABLE WITH A CHART ON THE BACK THATGIVES YOU THE DEPTH OF THE BALL AT THAT ANGLE.IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND ONE OR HAS ONE I AM INTERESTED.CALL ME AT 570 3597699. THANKS TED

Edited by ted

Wouldn't the cable have a tendency to bow and do underwater currents affect the degrees in any way. The cable bowing would be my biggest concern. Seems to me that the angle at the boom may be less than what it might be in the middle of the cable. Has anyone taken a angle finder ,used the degree found and compared it to say a Fishhawk probe to verify the theory with all the possible variables ? Sorry, anything other than basic math was not my strong suit when being schooled.

I think it’s more a guideline to get you close. Like a dipsy chart... If I can get a protractor mounted on my rigger boom, I’ll check the chart against my FishHawk. Someone remind me when the season hits!!! Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

the angle of the cable gives you the depth of the ball not how many feet to the ball.when trolling the faster you troll the higher your ball rises due to blow back.the level reads the angle match it up with the chart with how much cable is out & thats the depth of the ball

Whats the point use your sonar to track your down rigger ball.

Tracking the depth of your balls with your sonar will give you a false reading. Because your ball might be 60 feet from your transducer but it’s blown back 20 feet behind the boat. So the distance to the ball from the transducer is 60 feet but the actual depth of the ball is a lot less. It is somewhere in the 50 to 55 foot range.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You have the chart above. Easy to make one. Square pc. of wood with a protractor attached. Put a pendulum at the top. Align the edge of the wood with the cable and the pendulum will give you the angle.   

• Like 2

Hey guys the tool i am looking for is square piece of wood or plastic with a bubble level on it that measures in degrees therefore gives you the angle of the downgigger cable.It comes with a chart like the one above so you can match the angle of the cable with the amount of cable out .this measurment gives your actual depth of the cannon ball.Thanks everyone for responding.

Edited by ted

On 2/5/2018 at 4:56 AM, ted said:

Hey guys the tool i am looking for is square piece of wood or plastic with a bubble level on it that measures in degrees therefore gives you the angle of the downgigger cable.It comes with a chart like the one above so you can match the angle of the cable with the amount of cable out .this measurment gives your actual depth of the cannon ball.Thanks everyone for responding.

I made up charts years ago that I used with a simple protractor from the store. This was before I got a probe that shows actual depth. It’s a real eye opener to see how much cable you need to deploy to reach a specified depth. I now use 16 # torpedoes. MUCH less blowback as son as I can dig out my tackle bag I will take pics and post them. Hope it will help 

7 hours ago, chinook35 said:

I made up charts years ago that I used with a simple protractor from the store. This was before I got a probe that shows actual depth. It’s a real eye opener to see how much cable you need to deploy to reach a specified depth. I now use 16 # torpedoes. MUCH less blowback as son as I can dig out my tackle bag I will take pics and post them. Hope it will help 

chinook 35 how did you measure the angle of the cable with the protractor. what acted as the pendululm.or level do you have a pictuer of it?.thanks ted

I attached the protractor to the square pc. of wood and used a cotter pin as the pendulum. Align the left or right edge of wood with the cable and pendulum will tell you the angle