GPS suggestion?

rdebadts

Hey all- wondering what people suggest for a basic gps/chart plotter? We have a gps now that works, but is old and has very basic (basically no) maps. We also have been losing signal at times. Time for an upgrade. Not looking to break the bank, and don’t need anything super fancy.... we are willing to spend a few hundred bucks- just wondering what your experiences have been?

The Fishin' Physician Assistant

I have a Garmin GPSMAP172C color GPS with external GPS antenna that mounts on a rail. It's a color GPS unit that works fine, but both of my fish Finders have GPS in them already, so I am putting the Garmin on the market soon. I also have a data card for the GPS.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:27 PM, Todd in NY said:

I have a Garmin GPSMAP172C color GPS with external GPS antenna that mounts on a rail. It's a color GPS unit that works fine, but both of my fish Finders have GPS in them already, so I am putting the Garmin on the market soon. I also have a data card for the GPS.

I ran the 172 or maybe a 182C on my last boat for many years. Nothing but good things to say about it and not a lick of trouble. It went with the boat when I sold it.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I have 2 on my big boat a garmin and a lorance, the lorance has a chip with contours I use it more. My 17 foot boat has a hummingbird helix 5 with a chip it also works very good.
But I also have the avitonic app. On a iPad with a bad elf receiver that I use on both boats and in my RZR. I like it the best. The contours are more accurate. The app is 10 bucks and the bad elf GPS receiver is 149 bucks.
They are all pretty good depends on how much you want to see.
That’s my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use Garmin in the plane normally a Garmin loyalist but....I use the Lowrance HDS7 in the boat....I have the Navionics chip in it for the contouring as fishnut and it is expandable to add radar and full engine readouts if you wish.  It required no external antennae but Im running a pursuit denali 2860 with canvas top.  Never misses a beat, never loses a signal, and it does not conflict with my fish hawk transponder mounted on the opposite side of the transom.  At high speeds you lose the bottom but that is likely with anything...clarity is great detail is good.. lots of options........

my 2.5 cents.

• Like 1

Here is my opinion, FIRST decide what maps you want to use. I like navtronics maps, they only work with the features I want in some units, Garmin are the most inflexible in my experience. The others very. But first look at the maps you want to use then decide on units.

• Like 1