Waterlogged Mexico Report 8/29 - 8/31

Maybe I better change the boat name to Better Late Than Never as that is what this report is.

8/29 - Just 2 of us in the boat this trip as others had previous engagements. Fished out of Mexico starting in about 80 FOW and looking deeper to 100 FOW. Went 2/2. Hot ticket was a white Spin Doctor - double crush glow with an Atomik hammer fly - 30" fly leader from loop to the head of the fly trolling about off the rigger 65 down going 2.3 -2.6 mph.

8/30 - Decided to hit the same waypoints from Friday but then heard from a friend of my son on the cell that he did fish in front of the nuke plant Friday so decided to head that way. Not knowing this guy well I had doubts listening to his report. So on the way to the plant I decided to look in about 110 FOW. Boy did this cause a ruckus about "My Indecision". Started looking and found the "Mother of All Screens" - bait and as Billy Fucillo would say "HUGE-UH" marks. Entered a waypoint and started a southerly troll while Kevin (son) was setting up. Trolled south until the picture went blank. Turned around and on the track back - same picture but couldn't get anything to go. Turned again and this time "BANG" the same rigger with the same combination from Friday fired. Boated a nice 22# king. Swung around and did nothing. Tracked back on the same troll we took the fish and the same results with a 20# king off the same rigger. That set up was HOT HOT HOT!!! 2 fish in the box by 5:45 a.m. and a "dream screen". By the time we got turned around and set up again there were a number of other boats in the area and as a result the screen went blank. Trolled that area for quite a while with no results. Decided to head west towards the nuke plant. Looked and looked - nothing. Didn't hear of much other action on the radio either. By the time we got to the plant there was an armada of boats (like I didn't know they were going to be there :$ ) but we hung in there anyway. 11 a.m. and still nothing. Starting to wonder why we can't break the 2 fish a day syndrome?? :( Discussion entailed - go in and come out later or troll through until the afternoon bite. Stayed Out as it turned out and then between 3 and 3:45 just west of the smoke stack at the nuke plant the wire fired. Landed an 11.5# king Trolled east through the same waypoint - nada - turned and within feet of the first waypoint another taker on the wire. We couldn't get anything to go trolling east but each time we passed that waypoint we hooked up. So in 45 minutes 4 fish and had our limit. We have a smaller sized live well and we wound up with the 6th fish laying on the deck due to lack of room in the fish box due to the size of these fish. That's the kind of day you like to have although we worked hard for them it was well worth it.

8/31 - headed for the same place we finished Saturday. A little bumpy and we got a bit of a late start too. Managed 1 fish early on the same setup on the same rigger - a nice 25.5# fish. Couldn't get anything else to go and knew we were having a short day of fishing with having to break cam early that afternoon. Tried deeper water and headed toward the big Salmon to see what was happening there. Decided to forgo a wire dipsey for a 300 foot copper. While putting the 300 foot copper out the same setup on the same rigger fires (white Spin Doctor - double crush glow with an Atomik hammer fly - 30" fly leader from loop to the head of the fly). Kevin is fighting the fish on the mono and the port side wire fires violently. I have not seen a wire dipsey act like that ever. Throb, peel drag, throb, peel drag estimating about 80 feet of wire were pulled on each run. This set up was chrome Luhr Jensen dodger wit fish scale tape and a Hammer fly with a glow frog dipsey out 165 feet over 130

FOW on a 2.5 setting. Kevin handed me the mono rod as the dipsey was on his side of the boat and we began playing the double. While fighting the double the fly leader broke. We landed the fish on the mono - another 23# king and then examined the tackle failure. We had 18" of the 30" leader still attached to the dodger. The end of the 50# floro looked as though it had been heated and pulled forming a pointed end - not a clean break which I would have expected. I have never seen a piece of mono break and leave this type of end. We ended up 2/3 suspecting we lost the biggest fish of the day. That's fishing :D . All in all a good weekend for us. 10 fish in 3 days smallest 11.5# and biggest 25.5# all weights verified on Yogi Bear's Jellystone campground scales.

Hope to make one last trip before putting up the boat before hunting preparations take place.

Clarke

Clarke,

Did not know you were in town, wish you would have called. That setup was hot for us also, but our lead was 22". It did not matter presentation it was, it fired. Glad to hear you had a good time, let me know when you are coming back up.

Rich