Getting started

armymedic3

Hey everyone. After years of toying with the notion I just pulled the trigger and bought a cabin in Richland. I want to begin fishing Onieda. Never been on it. But from what Ive seen in my research is that it is the place to go for walleyes. Having only caught 5...yes 5 in my lifetime of 38 years. Fished hard for them in PA last 4 years and put a lot of time in. It seems to be the one fish that always eludes me or that I suck fishing for. Looking to change that with a fresh start. I have a 18ft open bow converted to a fishing boat. I have a 140 Johnson on it and that is it for the moment since my trolling motor died. My question to the group is what would you pick for the most popular/effective way to fish for walleye. Trolling, drifting, run and gun. Im torn for this year if I should buy a kicker or a new trolling motor with the gps. Or maybe I dont need either. I don't know. I see youtube videos of guys out in the middle of the day jigging with drift bags and catching them left and right.Never been much of a trolling kind of guy but if that is the ticket so be it.  Ill be doing more spring fishing than fall. Maybe winter before the ice comes. Any help or PM's welcome. Also if anyone could recommend a charter Captain or maybe a guy in the know on here that wants to go fishing in the spring let me know..

Tony Buffa Charters is the top gun . he will show you what you need to get the job done . my go to was buck tail jigs, swim blades ,worn harnesses with a bait walkers and drift . have trolled stick bait a and worn harnesses with luck too . but i prefer more of hands on when eye fishing . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, armymedic3 said:

Hey everyone. After years of toying with the notion I just pulled the trigger and bought a cabin in Richland. I want to begin fishing Onieda. Never been on it. But from what Ive seen in my research is that it is the place to go for walleyes. Having only caught 5...yes 5 in my lifetime of 38 years. Fished hard for them in PA last 4 years and put a lot of time in. It seems to be the one fish that always eludes me or that I suck fishing for. Looking to change that with a fresh start. I have a 18ft open bow converted to a fishing boat. I have a 140 Johnson on it and that is it for the moment since my trolling motor died. My question to the group is what would you pick for the most popular/effective way to fish for walleye. Trolling, drifting, run and gun. Im torn for this year if I should buy a kicker or a new trolling motor with the gps. Or maybe I dont need either. I don't know. I see youtube videos of guys out in the middle of the day jigging with drift bags and catching them left and right.Never been much of a trolling kind of guy but if that is the ticket so be it.  Ill be doing more spring fishing than fall. Maybe winter before the ice comes. Any help or PM's welcome. Also if anyone could recommend a charter Captain or maybe a guy in the know on here that wants to go fishing in the spring let me know..

I'll second that Tony Buffa has been hard set on that lake for most of his career...

He may be booked for this season - If interested I can help you out as well on Oneida Lake.

If you are more into a class style trip, I'm good with that as well

I focus more on the trolling aspect while on Oneida - but, can help with jigging and sonars as well.

Congrats on your new camp!

The best thing about Oneida lake is it's loaded with walleye and they aren't very difficult to catch any one of a number of ways.  My advice to you is to figure out how you want to catch them and find a captain to show you some techniques that fit your goals.  A good charter will shorten your learning curve.  Personally I am of the opinion that learning to troll walleye is most important because it's the best technique during the heat of the summer when many guys struggle and trolling doesn't require much local knowledge.  As far as the kicker vs trolling motor question goes if you are a troller and only a troller a kicker is the play....if you plan to jig/cast/drift a trolling motor is the play...if you do both a really big trolling motor is the play.  I do just about every kind of walleye fishing there is and I would go with a 36v trolling motor.  I'd take a charter trip before you buy a bunch of stuff you don't need. If you are interested in bigger walleye without big water and are up to the challenge give me a call on otisco.