Storing my boat outside in winter

I make a tent with a 16 foot 2 by 4 supported by a set of 2 by 4 staffs and cross boards on my 18 foot Crestliner. A 24 by 12 tarp covers it and bungee stretch cords keep it tight. It is now ten years old and takes twenty minutes to put it back up. Snow slides. Off and ventilation keeps the mold from building up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I make a tent with a 16 foot 2 by 4 supported by a set of 2 by 4 staffs and cross boards on my 18 foot Crestliner. A 24 by 12 tarp covers it and bungee stretch cords keep it tight. It is now ten years old and takes twenty minutes to put it back up. Snow slides. Off and ventilation keeps the mold from building up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Do you have a picture?

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use three stands made from 2x4's and attach three 2x4's (two are 8ft long, one is 10ft long) across the top to support a 20x30 tarp over my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. I use bungee cords to attach the tarp to my trailer. The snow slides off real easy. All three stands are built like the one on the bow. The two in the cockpit are 8ft tall and the one on the bow is around 5ft tall. I added pool noodles on the top two ends of the frame so the tarp wouldn't get cut by the ends of the 2x4's.

IMG_20171202_195020.thumb.jpg.946cc8b85a35ea59f52975480d6fdedb.jpg

IMG_20171122_084101.thumb.jpg.535bc3fb27fb8507ba555bb97e7f6f7c.jpg

Edited by Todd in NY

I fasten the boards with 3 inch Tork head screws. They do not strip out when disassemballed are used again in the fall. I keep the black side of the tarp exposed to absorb the sun's heat during the winter and spring. My stern drain plug is opened in the winter. My battery charger is plugged in all winter so it is ready to go. 3/4 inch tabs are mounted on top of the support poles to hold the support poles up in place with screws.The base of the support poles have braces on both sides to stabilize the frame. My tarp is ten yeas old now and has several holes but the help ventilate. I have seen the shrink wrap tarps form black mold over the winter on all the vinyl and paint when ventilation is not present.

Edited by jimski2

I've positioned (in the track) traxstech rod holders in 3 locations per side and pointed them inward. Equally space them one each side, from the transom to just behind the windshield. Then take PVC trim pieces 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 8', and grind the corners off the ends of the trim so they will fit into the rodholders. Insert one end of the modified trim board into a rod holder, bend the trim board into an arch, insert the other end into the opposite rod holder, and install a tarp over the pvc arches. I also have a "tent" pole positioned near the center of the windshield to keep water from pooling there....... simple, cheap, effective.

One of the things I have done over the years to prevent mold or mildew is to leave a couple bags of charcoal briquettes(opened) and inside of open garbage bags to prevent accidental spillage in the bilge and also interior of the boat on flooring to absorb any potential moisture...it works...but I also store the boat in an unheated barn with an acrylic mooring cover and tarp over that..

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

not to steal, but how about rodent control. I have used moth balls, and dryer sheets. Neither work 100%. 

I do have interior cold storage in a garage, but mice like winterized boats!

not to steal, but how about rodent control. I have used moth balls, and dryer sheets. Neither work 100%. 
I do have interior cold storage in a garage, but mice like winterized boats!

I use them plugin rodent things you buy at Walmart. They work great I use them in my RV also. Haven’t had a single mouse since I started using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I built a frame over my searay simple center beam.I have 2x4 4 ftwire over that and a old pool cover.My cabin door is shut so no vermin can get in.The cover is tall so I can still get in.If it snows hard i pull off the snow with a roof rake.Ive done this since 2009 .I also take everything out except my rods.never had mice in the boat or cats.

I use them plugin rodent things you buy at Walmart. They work great I use them in my RV also. Haven’t had a single mouse since I started using them.

I was thinking of them, trip to Walmart coming

• Like 1

Here in Ontario we usually have a rodent problem ; otters , skunks or whatever else seeking a winter home in a closed boat away from the cold. My response has always been to use mothballs and great quanities of Mr. Clean placed inside in a container (s) when one of our boats is stored outside. Inside , I also spread it all over the dock when boats are stored in our boathouse. Varmints do not like the smell of soap! Dryer sheets are sometimes included also.

18 hours ago, laker1 said:

Dryer sheets are sometimes included also.

I used dryer sheets for a few years until one spring I had a deer mouse nest and 3/4 of was dryer sheets, go figure right!

The soap sounds like a option with the electronic gizmo

I use a hoop system made from PVC. Check it out on the "this old boat" forum. Working great. Lightweight and reusuable. But seriously if you want something quick to use for a day here and there through the winter, you'll need a carport type structure or party tent, etc.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app