Transom replacement recommendations

NymphO

I did search and didn't really see anything recent, or close by. My transom "seems" ok with doing the basic diagnostics. I'm prepared to start investing some serious time and money into my new found addiction but I want to make sure I don't screw up by forgetting a main component in floating. I'm in the buffalo area and just looking for recommendations of someone who's done or knows somebody who's got a replacement done. I'm half tempted to do it myself but I'm no expert and would rather not rely on YouTube training for this one. Boats a sea nymph 195 GLS aluminum. Tia

I did three of them on different boats. It is time consuming and requires a bit of muscle power but it is not hard . What you need is a camera ,a good tape measure and a huge piece of cardboard.Before you do it make sure that it really needs doing,but once you have decided, it is a matter of removing your engine, a bunch of screws and the aluminum protective top. Then drill  2 holes in the top and screw big open eye bolts in there. Those are the handles that you use to raise the old transom out of its housing. If it is really hard you probably forgot a bolt. Once it is out( whole or piecemeal) you lay the pieces on the cardboard and measure out the dimensions which you will need to make the new one.Usually transoms are about 1.5 inches thick so you need to glue to pieces of 3/4 inch plywood together to get the right thickness. I would use Okuma marine plywood but other people use high grade fir Now you cut it out according to your measurements and glue the 2 pieces together. When it is good and dry, put it in the housing to make sure it fits. Once all is good, you have to seal the wood. I did mine with 6 layers of paint, but you can also use emulsions that you have to mix on the spot and paint on fast before it dries. Let it dry, drop it into its housing again and drill the holes where the holes in the aluminum housing are. Take it out again and paint the inside of all those holes in order to seal the wood there .Once that is dry. bolt everything back on, say a little prayer and go fishing  So what is the camera for? It's there to take pictures of the taking apart, which will help you putting it back together again.

Edited by rolmops

I did three of them on different boats. It is time consuming and requires a bit of muscle power but it is not hard . What you need is a camera ,a good tape measure and a huge piece of cardboard.Before you do it make sure that it really needs doing,but once you have decided, it is a matter of removing your engine, a bunch of screws and the aluminum protective top. Then drill a 2 holes in the top and screw big open eye bolts in there. Those are the handles that you use to raise the old transom out of its housing. If it is really hard you probably forgot a bolt. Once it is out( whole or piecemeal) you lay the pieces on the cardboard and measure out the dimensions which you will need to make the new one.Usually transoms are about 1.5 inches thick so you need to glue to pieces of 3/4 inch plywood together to get the right thickness. I would use Okuma marine plywood but other people use high grade fir Now you cut it out according to your measurements and glue the 2 pieces together. When it is good and dry, put it in the housing to make sure it fits. Once all is good, you have to seal the wood. I did mine with 6 layers of paint, but you can also use emulsions that you have to mix on the spot and paint on fast before it dries. Let it dry, drop it into its housing again and drill the holes where the holes in the aluminum housing are. Take it out again and paint the inside of all those holes in order to seal the wood there .Once that is dry. bolt everything back on, say a little prayer and go fishing  So what it the camera for? It's there to take pictures of the taking apart, which will help you putting it back together again.

The only downside of the "bolts" is that half the boat has to come off to get to them.... I have some time, but not alot of time unless I want to be in the garage instead of on the lake. I may do the diy but I want to explore some repair shops first. And yes, great advice on the camera !!!

3 hours ago, NymphO said:

I did search and didn't really see anything recent, or close by. My transom "seems" ok with doing the basic diagnostics. I'm prepared to start investing some serious time and money into my new found addiction but I want to make sure I don't screw up by forgetting a main component in floating. I'm in the buffalo area and just looking for recommendations of someone who's done or knows somebody who's got a replacement done. I'm half tempted to do it myself but I'm no expert and would rather not rely on YouTube training for this one. Boats a sea nymph 195 GLS aluminum. Tia

Contact Hank, L&M Marine on this site. He will steer you in the right direction if you want to have it done by a professional.