Keuka lake

brucehookedup

From what the guys are posting on Iceshanty, the only ice is in the Penn Yan arm, they go out off Indian Pines, they are getting out to about 25 ft of water, but getting some lakers there, and they all say SPUD SPUD SPUD!   The up and down temperatures have been wrecking havoc off and on with shore ice, there was a picture of open water off Indian Pines last week, and everyone who went out said stay to the right.   And a lot of the Lake is still open water.

The above is correct. The Branchport arm is totally open water. A lot of the main laker fishing right now is in up to 120 ft of water directly out in front of Keuka College on the Penn Yan arm of the lake. A few days ago someone caught one over 15 pounds which these days is quite unusual for Keuka and seem to be hitting just about anything put down there. Lakers have also been caught in shallower as well and they seem to be roaming about under the ice looking for food and feeding on the small perch which are very abundant at the north end. Last week they were present in numbers at about 45 feet The ice has opened up and there is open water at the entrance to the Keuka Outlet at Indian Pines and as mentioned you need to keep to the right as facing the lake to stay safe when entering the lake proper to the south.In most of the ice from Indian Pines to a ways beyond the the water treatment plant is about 12-15 inches of pretty hard ice but still a good idea to be careful. The sketchiest areas are near shore because of the temperature fluctuations and with considerable snow expected in next day or two may bnot be able to see weak areas with snow coverage.

Edited by Sk8man

Headed to the college in the morning with my son. Parking a problem at all? I assume the fishing report was after the snow fall and there are no ice issues? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Where do you park at the college? I’m headed there in the morning for the first time. Was gonna either go there or Indian pines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My son and I ended the day with just a few small perch.  my buddy ended with 3 lakers and a couple younger fellas about 50 yards away limited out with 10 lakers.  Just not our day.  Ice was very thick, 12+ every where I drilled.  Most of the Penn Yan arm is ice covered but the farther south you drive there were open water spots.  With the warm temps this week I am sure that will all disappear and the only access will be from the park.

Question about access.  So I went up to the college and parked right in front of the Chapel and there is a sign right there that says no ice fishing or ice fishing access allowed?  We tried to find the campus safety officer to ask but he was out doing his rounds.  So we went back up and went out of the park.  After fishing and on our way back down the lake you could see a bunch of people that obviously went out of the college area.  If someone wouldn't mind sharing (or through PM) how it works up there it would be very appreciated. 

The drag sucked but it was a nice day out on the water. 

On 2/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, Big Spoon said:

Nice. Said out to 75 started seeing more. Picked up a 3 lb on a shiner on the tip up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I parked right at the college there was no issue but I was there early. Weekends will probably be just fine except for the ice fishermen piling in. Ice was 6 to 8 inches everywhere with 6 inches of snow on top

In the past I've had security tell me that parking at the college was only for faculty, staff and students so seems as though it is still "iffy"

Me my son and my buddy were the first 2 vehicles there on Saturday.  Like I stated in my last post we were on the road right in front of the chapel and saw the sign right at the top of the stairs.  We saw foot prints in the snow on the point (on land) and none going out on the ice.  I always try and do the right thing, especially when I am with my son.  Trying to teach him the to respect land owners property (ask permission, pick up after people that disrespect the property, and so on.). 

Maybe if we waited around a while to see what others did we would have followed them out, but being the first ones there we didn't want to risk a ticket or towed vehicle.  We will try it again but maybe go a little later if we are going to try the college again.

Thanks for the info.

Mike