Black Creek 8-31

Kinda late, but I feel like sharin.

Hit up Black creek in my kayak for the first time. What a beautiful waterway.

I got a lot of funny looks, so I will show a picture of my setup. I originally used my kayak fishin in the ocean in California...

100_1963.jpg

It was perfect for the water in Black creek.

The fishin was good. I caught 2 nice bass pretty quick. The first one weighed 2.6 lbs at 17 inches and I forgot to weigh the second. It looked about the same.

100_1927.jpg

100_1941.jpg

Those were a lot of fun. It slowed down a little bit before I got this guy...

100_1953.jpg

Not huge, but my biggest so far... He hit 2 inches from my kayak. A little later fishin in a sunken tree, I snag a branch and slowly bring it up. Wrong! It ends up being this beast...

100_1961.jpg

100_1960.jpg

Tottaly shocked and scared of his big ass claws, I watched it quickly unsnap my swivel. My first reptile...

Had a great time hangin out on Black creek. I might go again this weekend.

Til next time,

PHIL

Well....I don't know how you're going to fare 3-4 months from now....but you certainly seem to be acclimating to the FISHING climate quite well. Time to show us what you're made of though and start asking us about ICE fishing spots and gear. Yes...it's time to break you in the way only a western New York winter can. LOL

"California....I'll be knockin on the golden door"

Nice bass! Nice pike too! Its not the claws you should be afraid of on those snappers. I've seen one chomp through a hockey stick! No lure's worth a finger... I'd let it go at the swivel or cut my line for sure.

Thats a great setup you got there. I've never seen a kyak porcupined out like that. Sounds like its working well in our waters. I can't wait to hear how it handles a king!

Glad you're on the water Phil!

Well....I don't know how you're going to fare 3-4 months from now....but you certainly seem to be acclimating to the FISHING climate quite well. Time to show us what you're made of though and start asking us about ICE fishing spots and gear. Yes...it's time to break you in the way only a western New York winter can. LOL

"California....I'll be knockin on the golden door"

Bring it on. I am very interested in ice fishing. I guess I need to buy some tip-ups. And some winter clothes for that matter... If anyone is looking for an ice fishing intern, I'm your guy!

I have fished black creek a few times and all the times I was going out guys were coming in with walleye in there boat they say they get theme right at the mouth. they said on rapalas that look like crabs and jigs sometimes also

I started at Churchville park and went upstream. I would like to go near the river and get some eyes. Maybe I'll try that next. I need to find the launch downstream. It would be tough to leave that great spot where I went though...

Phil

if you go to rochesters craigslist under the barter section there is a guy wanting to trade or sell a bunch of ice fishing stuff and I might even have some stuff. you are more then welcome to join us on the ice I go for mostly panfish but where we go there is lots of pike cought.

Spoken like true die hard. Right on Man!! And screw the tip ups. Get a couple of jigging rods and keep it movin. Tip ups slow you down unless all you want to do is fish for Pike. I like to gear up for walleye and panfish, travel light and cover water.

Looking forward to having you out on the hard water. Out there, tip ups are one way to fish, but they are the icefishing equivalent of anchoring your boat. For learning your way around, you will want to travel light and have some essentials. As stated, a couple good jigging rods, a sharp 6" hand auger and some form of shelter would get you started. There are some cool electronics, better shelters, powered augers, etc available. Ice fishing is becoming as much a tackle lunky's game as regular fishing. To get started, you can do a lot with a little. Ice fishermen are, for the most part, some of the friendliest and nicest people you will meet in the outdoors. We share knowledge, bait and tackle and hell, you can come fish in one of my holes if you want to! Ice fishing rules. You'll love it.

Grady :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, iv been fishing a real nice spot in Churchville and have been catching all kinds of fish. If you are to get on the express way in Chili center and take it to the churchville exit a take a left and then make your seconed left(1st left takes you back to the express way) you will come to a state trooper station. Behind it is the creek. there is nice fishing in both directions of the creek.

-mike stokes

Phil

That is a very nice set up. Don't dismiss some of the smaller FingerLakes with that rig. In the fall the lakers are in the shallows and very accessible. In addition, in the spring landlocks and rainbows can be found in that same shallow water. Just have to pik the right days when the winds cooperate. People in the Adirondack ponds have rigs very similar to yours and a very productive.

Good luck.

if you need a new place to try i recommend maxwell creek.there are lots of area for northerns and as soon as it rains it will have salmon and steelies along with northerns.ive caught 3 large[36+]northerns from there tossin spinners for steelies.tuff to beat a36in fish with 6lb test line with a noodle rod.and if you would like i be more than happy to show a rook how to icefish.pm me and let me know;and so long 4 now;john

Maxwell creek is about 40 minutes from I-Bay and 10 from Sodus, right at the Lake. North side of the road has a reed filled bay and a good stretch of land that's fishable, then South of the bridge is Fly territory with fast water, and waterfalls once we start getting into the rain and winter.